"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question Desiccants for shipping candy?

Hi, I am new to the forum and hope you can help me! I make home-made peanut brittle and that type of hard candy is hydrographic (???) meaning it absorbs moisture from the air, and as it does, it turns STICKY. I want to sell my candy this year at the farmer's market, but I'm concerned about it turning sticky (even though I'm sealing it in a bag). The best solution I can come up with is to put one of those DO NOT EAT dessiccant packs in the bag of brittle, but I can't find anything on the internet about thier use with edible products.
  1. Is it safe? (I did find some candy and cookie companies on the internet that ship their products with them in the packaging, but I can't find something definite that says they are safe to have around food.)
  2. Where do i buy them?? I want to make sure they are printed with DO NOT EAT. (I buy a lot of shoes, but not enough to collect enough of those little packs from the boxes..... ) I have searched the internet and can find some sites selling dessiccant packs, but they seem very "industrially" oriented--nothing that seems geared to food.
  3. Does anyone have any experience using them with food/candy?
Thank you so much for your expert advice!!!!!!

tramtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Calcium Chloride or anhydrous Magnesium Sulphate (epsom salts) are both very good desicants (and used in the Lab), you would come to no harm if you ate some.

several T spoons of MgSO4 is an age old remedy still in use today for constipation, although you`de need to eat quite a few packets! to get that effect :)

the existing ones you speak of are Sodium Silicate, although harmless in tiny amounts, it wouldn`t do you much good to eat a packet of it.

ew ew ew!!!! I Just had another Idea for you :)
how about Coating the brittle? something like Carnuba wax (or however you spell it).

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Why don't you vacuum pack it, using one of those FoodSaver machines? No air, no sticky.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Head Chef
These people know all about food storage:

Food Storage - Freeze Dried Foods & Dehydrated Foods

They may have the answer for you.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Master Chef
You need a food grade desiccant - Silica Gel is the one I am most familiar with. Here is a Google link to Food Grade Desiccants to get you started in finding a supplier.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote