"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
English Toffee Troubles

Yesterday I made some English Toffee. It turned out OK but seems a little too sweet.

1 cup Sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (I used real unsalted sweet cream butter)

Heat to 310 degrees then remove from heat and stir in:

1/2 cup almonds (I used blanched slivers that I broke into smaller pieces)

Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then melt 12oz Hershey Milk chocolate bar and spread over the top.

Then I popped it into the freezer for 20 minutes for it to cool. Then broke it into smaller pieces. Some of the chocolate seperated from the toffee.

From what I recall, toffee should have a little more of a savory flavor. My guess is that it needs a little salt to balance it out but how much?

Next time I think I'll break the toffee into pieces then coat both sides with semi-sweet or dark chocolate.

mickey_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Head Chef
I just checked my recipes and they don't use salt either but do use salted butter; I think that will be the way to go as it works for me.

Polly aka Shunka....the Def Leppard crazy in AZ!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
Master Chef
The recipe I use calls for 2 c sugar and 1/2 c butter (unsalted) and no salt. When I want to make it chocolate toffee I acutally mix 2 oz of chopped chocolate into the toffee before spreading it onto a sheet. That gives it the chocolate taste and none of the trouble of getting the chocolate to stick when I break the toffee.
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Sous Chef
I have pretty much stopped trying to get the chocolate to stick. It always pops off when I break it up. I wouldn't put it in the freezer. Let it bond at room temp.
I don't think there is much "savory" about toffee--sweet sweet sweet.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I didn't mean that it was savory but less sweet and needed something savory to balance it out. I'll have to try it with a dash of salt next time.
mickey_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I would suggest adding just a couple pinches of salt if you want it a little less sweet...just tailor it to your own taste...but you have the basic idea down so just throw some salt in there and try another batch...

Merry Christmas,
aguynamedrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
I do agree that a pinch of salt will help but even moreso would be to use MILK chocolate instead of Semi Sweet chocolate. This is coming from someone who adores semi sweet but I found it to be sickly sweet whereas the milk chocolate was just perfect. I make tons of this for gifts and I always stick it in the freezer. It helps break it up easier and my chocolate always sticks. I did learn that if your tofee seperates, add 2 teaspoons hot water and it will come together. Make certain that the toffee is an amber color when done.
ryansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Senior Cook
One thing I do that may help in your case is to pan fry my almonds in a little butter and salt until they are browned (Not Burned) and toasted.. Then I let it dry out slightly and pat off any extra butter.

I then add these toasted almonds to my Toffee for a wonderful flavor. Just something to consider if you are fan of toasted nuts.

candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
Senior Cook
Good idea...when making toffee I either roast the nuts first or I add the nuts like 20 degrees before the final temp so they cook...roasted or cooked nuts always have more flavor then non...good idea brad

Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

aguynamedrobert is offline   Reply With Quote