Fiddle Faddle Popcorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Just popped 28 cups of popcorn.It's ready to go,but I need a recipe

Just a rough guess it calls for corn syrup,butter,salt.and baking soda.

Thanks.

Munky.

Here's the recipe my family uses for crackerjack (that's what we call it).

2 sticks butter or margarine
2 cups brown sugar packed (I use half light half dark)
1/2 cup corn syrup

melt butter in sauce pan, add sugar and syrup, bring to boil and boil for 5 mins

Add 1/2 tsp baking soda,1 tsp vanilla. and stir.

Pour over 2 gallons of popped corn in an oven safe container and stir to coat
Bake at 250 deg. for one hour stirring every 15 mins.

We usually don't put the nuts in because they tend to settle at the bottom and don't really stick to the popcorn. I make at least a double batch every Christmas.

Thank you for the recipe.It was fantastic!!

The only problem I had was trying to keep everyone out of it until it was done.It was that good! :)

Next time I will double it.It's gone already..Geez you know they really could have saved me some.But noooo :LOL:

I'm going to rate it.It's a keeper.

Thanks again

Munky.

It goes quick around here too. I usually make a double batch for Christmas (it fills one of the big popcorn tins you can get at the holidays) and it rarely lasts through New Years. There are only 2 or 3 of here now so it lasts a bit longer but when the whole family shows up it's gone! Glad you liked it!

Fiddle Faddle

Fiddle Faddle

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 bags plain or natural-flavored microwave popcorn
1/2 cup roasted almonds
Zonkers
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 bags butter-flavored microwave popcorn
1. For either recipe, combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, water and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. You're going to bring the candy to 265-275 degrees, or what is known as the hard ball stage. For this it's best to use a candy thermometer. If you don't have one, don't worry. Drip the candy into a small glass of cold water. If the candy forms a very hard, yet slightly pliable ball, bingo, you're there. Watch your mixture closely so that it doesn't boil over.
2. While candy cooks, pop both bags of popcorn and spread about 2 quarts or 1 1/3 bags of popcorn (plus almonds for Fiddle Faddle) on one large or two small cookie sheets. Put the popcorn in your oven set on its lowest temperature. This will keep the popcorn hot so that the candy will coat better.
3. When your candy has reached the hard ball stage, add the vanilla.
4. Pull the popcorn from the oven and, working quickly, pour the candy over the popcorn in thin streams. Mix the popcorn so that each kernel is coated with candy, put the popcorn back into the oven for five more minutes, then stir once again. This will help to coat each kernel. You can repeat this step once more if necessary to get all of the popcorn coated. Pour popcorn onto a large sheet of wax paper to cool. Spread the popcorn out, but be careful...it's hot.
5. When popcorn is cool, break it up and immediately put it into a tightly sealed container, such as Tupperware. This will ensure that it stays fresh. This stuff gets stale very quickly in moist climates if left out.
Makes about 4 quarts.

Back
Top Bottom