Flavoring Homemade Lollipops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lscholl13

Assistant Cook
Hello!!!! I am working to perfect my homemade lollipops and I have been able to successfully get to the hard crack stage but I am struggling with getting the right flavor. I have been most successful using jello gelatin but the consistency of the lollipop is gritty. The powder can still be tasted because it has not been fully dissolved into the mixture.

I have tried dissolving the gelatin into water first but this doesn't work because it cools the mixture down too much taking it out of the hard crack stage. Any suggestions?

You definitely need to use a flavor extract. Just a few drops is all it takes. With extracts, the flavor is enhanced and strong. They can be slightly expensive, but well worth the price. You will end up with a quality product that will by worthy of selling at your State Fair. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies

Thanks everybody for replying. The extracts are more expensive and I was trying to get out cheaper. But using an extract does seem like the best way to go. It's just frustrating that it takes going through the full process each time to determine if the changes I've made have the desired effect. I've used the drams and haven't had the results that I've been looking for. Hopefully I will stumble upon the right combo here soon.

Thanks everybody for replying. The extracts are more expensive and I was trying to get out cheaper. But using an extract does seem like the best way to go. It's just frustrating that it takes going through the full process each time to determine if the changes I've made have the desired effect. I've used the drams and haven't had the results that I've been looking for. Hopefully I will stumble upon the right combo here soon.

The Amoretti extracts contain no alcohol, which means they deliver more of their flavor because you don't lose anything from evaporation, and they have a Use Level Formula to calculate the amount of extract required by weight rather than measuring it by volume.

Last edited:
Hi Ischoll, and welcome to Discuss Cooking. :flowers:

Have you tried Torani syrups? I've never made lollipops, but have used it to flavor my iced teas in the summer. They average around $8 or so a bottle. Good stuff. :)
Torani | Buy Syrups

Back
Top Bottom