"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

A double boiler is actually two pans with a bottom pan that is larger than the top one. The top one has a rim around it to stop it from going down to far in the bottom pan. It does give a tighter fit, and the water should never touch the top pan. Because of the tight fit, you can lower the heat source to just a simmer and not lose any of the water to escaping steam. When you use a bowl over a pan of hot water, you lose a lot of the steam. It is the steam that will heat the top pan. The bottom pan has a thinner bottom than the bottom pan does.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A double boiler is actually two pans with a bottom pan that is larger than the top one. The top one has a rim around it to stop it from going down to far in the bottom pan. It does give a tighter fit, and the water should never touch the top pan. Because of the tight fit, you can lower the heat source to just a simmer and not lose any of the water to escaping steam. When you use a bowl over a pan of hot water, you lose a lot of the steam. It is the steam that will heat the top pan. The bottom pan has a thinner bottom than the bottom pan does.
I see, so the main reason you'd suggest getting a tailor-made one is that the steam can escape when the two pans aren't designed to fit together? I doubt I'll be able to afford/bother to buy a proper one, so if I am just using a bowl over a pan, what things do I need to look out for (obviously making sure not too much steam escapes)? :)

Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amwazable View Post
I see, so the main reason you'd suggest getting a tailor-made one is that the steam can escape when the two pans aren't designed to fit together? I doubt I'll be able to afford/bother to buy a proper one, so if I am just using a bowl over a pan, what things do I need to look out for (obviously making sure not too much steam escapes)? :)
Don't let the water be too high so that it is touching the top bowl. Keep the water to a slow simmer. If you have a three quart sauce pan, it should be tall enough to protect the bowl from the water. Place the water in the pan, put in the bowl and then take it out. If the bottom is wet, then you have too much water in the pan. Glad to be of help. I understand the cost factor.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

This is a very simple fudge recipe that is nearly foolproof. It's the one my DW insists on. It's called the See's Fudge recipe, after the wonderful fudge from See's Candy shops out of California (they make the best blueberry and raspberry truffles ever!). Whether its the actual recipe they use, I don't know. But I do know that the resulting fudge is delicious.

Ingredients:
2 tbs. real butter
1 cup evaporated milk
1 large marshmallows, each cut into four pices
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (semi sweet or millk chocolate, your choice
1 cup of either chopped walnuts or pecans.2 tsp. vanilla

Melt the butter and marshmallows in a double boiler, or in a large glass bowl in your microwave oven. Stir to mix the two.

While the marshmallow/butter mixture is melting, place the sugar, vanilla, and evaporated milk into a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring to keep it from sticking to the pan bottom and burning.

Place the chocolate chips and nuts into a large bowl and pour the contents from both the double boiler and the sauce pan into the same bowl. Stir until everything is well blended.

This recipe uses canned milk for the moisture and milk proteins and flavor. Real butter is used to give it a wonderfully rich flavor, and that "melt in your mouth" texture that is the hallmark of great fudge. The sugar has been completely dissolved into the canned milk, making a beautiful, grain-free syrup, again, making the fudge silky smooth. Vanilla, it's there to add just the right amount of vanilla flavor.

I would suggest making this fudge (your family will thank you), and then using the same recipe, but substituting maple syrup for the sugar, and white chocolate in place of the brown chocolate.

Another option would be to replace the chocolate chips with peanut butter, or half peanut butter and half chocolate chips.

If you want Rocky Road fudge, replace the wallnut/pecans with peanuts and add miniature marshmallow to the original fudge, mixing it just enough to distribute the mini marshmallows.

With all of them, place the hot fudge into a buttered, 9X15, buttered pan. Let cool, slice, and enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
This is a very simple fudge recipe that is nearly foolproof. It's the one my DW insists on. It's called the See's Fudge recipe, after the wonderful fudge from See's Candy shops out of California (they make the best blueberry and raspberry truffles ever!). Whether its the actual recipe they use, I don't know. But I do know that the resulting fudge is delicious.

Ingredients:
2 tbs. real butter
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar

Melt the butter and marshmallows in a double boiler, or in a large glass bowl in your microwave oven. Stir to mix the two.

While the marshmallow/butter mixture is melting, place the sugar, vanilla, and evaporated milk into a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring to keep it from sticking to the pan bottom and burning.

Place the chocolate chips and nuts into a large bowl and pour the contents from both the double boiler and the sauce pan into the same bowl. Stir until everything is well blended.

This recipe uses canned milk for the moisture and milk proteins and flavor. Real butter is used to give it a wonderfully rich flavor, and that "melt in your mouth" texture that is the hallmark of great fudge. The sugar has been completely dissolved into the canned milk, making a beautiful, grain-free syrup, again, making the fudge silky smooth. Vanilla, it's there to add just the right amount of vanilla flavor.

I would suggest making this fudge (your family will thank you), and then using the same recipe, but substituting maple syrup for the sugar, and white chocolate in place of the brown chocolate.

Another option would be to replace the chocolate chips with peanut butter, or half peanut butter and half chocolate chips.

If you want Rocky Road fudge, replace the wallnut/pecans with peanuts and add miniature marshmallow to the original fudge, mixing it just enough to distribute the mini marshmallows.

With all of them, place the hot fudge into a buttered, 9X15, buttered pan. Let cool, slice, and enjoy.

Thanks, but I'm not really looking for specific recipes. As I mentioned in my opener, I want to try and learn about fudge for myself, so that I can create and edit my own recipes however I want, rather than just use existing recipes.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

Ingredients:
2 tbs. real butter
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar

I'm going to have to try this. I have had very mixed results with fudge. I don't care if it's the real See's Candy recipe, if it comes out like their fudge, it will be lovely.

Is it really only 1 marshmallow?
Is it really evaporated milk, not condensed milk?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It does not have to seal and the water should not touch the bottom.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm going to have to try this. I have had very mixed results with fudge. I don't care if it's the real See's Candy recipe, if it comes out like their fudge, it will be lovely.

Is it really only 1 marshmallow?
Is it really evaporated milk, not condensed milk?
I'm thinking it's 1 bag of large marshmallows and with the amount of sugar already in the recipe it is evaporated milk.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm thinking it's 1 bag of large marshmallows and with the amount of sugar already in the recipe it is evaporated milk.
It is evaporated milk, but 10 large marshmallows. Sorry about that.

And Taxlady; I find that starting with a good recipe is a great way to learn how to make something. I determine what the ingredients of the recipe do, and then start altering them to achieve different flavors and textures. This allows me to learn techniques much faster than if I re-invent the wheel. I do re-invent the wheel often enough though. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. It usually does.

Example: I learned to make custard pies such as lemon marange and key lime pie from recipes. Using the same techniques, I was able to craft a rhubarb pie that had the same texture as the other pies. I'm confident that I could now use virtually any citrus, and many fruit juices to make pies of any flavor that I might want.

Learning from others is a valid way to expand your knowledge. You just need to be observant while doing it.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It is evaporated milk, but 10 large marshmallows. Sorry about that.
So, I'm only able to read half your mind...scary, huh?

Tags
other