Fudge disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jules582

Assistant Cook
I made fudge for my boyfriend's parent's house for Christmas, and it has yet to set! It's been in the fridge for about 3-4 hours...is this normal?!

Can you show us the recipe?
Normally, fudge will set up within about an hour, sometimes before that without being put in the fridge.

Yeah something went wrong...post your recipe and procedure when you get a chance....
Either your temperature was off or you didn't grain the fudge correctly...probably the temperature...

Merry Christmas,
Robert
Chocolate

• 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
  1. Line an 8x8 inch pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
  2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine marshmallow cream, sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Bring to a full boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Remove from heat and pour in semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, or until firm.
I may have taken it off the heat before it was time, I couldn't tell if it was boiling or not. was I supposed to like it melt without stirring, then let it boil and stir? I need more detailed directions!

Jules,

I don't know if this will help you but in step two of your recipe did you test the mixture (after it had boiled for awhile) by putting a teaspoon of mixture in a cup of cool water to see if you could roll the mixture into a soft ball? If it rolls into a soft ball it's ready to move onto step three. The fudge should set up almost immediately. :)

stargazer021 said:
Jules,

I don't know if this will help you but in step two of your recipe did you test the mixture (after it had boiled for awhile) by putting a teaspoon of mixture in a cup of cool water to see if you could roll the mixture into a soft ball? If it rolls into a soft ball it's ready to move onto step three. The fudge should set up almost immediately. :)

No, I didn't know to do that. But I certainly will next time!

Basically that cold water test is to see what temperature or "stage" the sugar syrup is at....you need to be at about 235-242 Degrees F. When finished...that will be a soft-slightly firm balll when using the cold water or Ice water method....that is what probably went wrong...your temperature was probably too low...
Second...when you use marshmallow cream you add it AFTER the syrup has cooked....you add it with the chocolate chips....I have never seen it added before...and will not work right if added before...

Merry Christmas Everyone,
Robert
Chocolate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom