Fudge making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott94596

Assistant Cook
It is that time of year again. Very good here at baking many things. Have a little trouble making fudge. Some recipes do not come out very good. I hate candy thermometers and have had good results in not using them in the past. I understand that boiling a mixture for about 10 min will get you to soft ball stage. Is this correct? Was wondering if i am taking too much of a gamble in not using a thermometer.

I use the fudge recipe on the side of the Kraft Marshmellow jar. I don't make fudge very often so I don't own a candy thermometer. I always have a bowl with cool water in it. After the mixture comes to a rolling boil I periodically will take a teaspoon of the mixture and drop it into the water. If I can make it into a ball then it's ready to move onto the next step. Hope this helps.:)

I am trying to find a recipe that does not use 'marshmallow cream/creme'. Living in Australia i can't seem to find such a product!

I want to make fudge :(

thanks star- :) the good ole mixture in cold water method. i see you are in southern michigan. which town? native of michigan here, however i have been in california for almost 27 yrs.

Ice water test mentioned before is your best bet when not using a thermometer....almost as good as a thermometer...I use that method myself in a professional setting...

Robert
Chocolate

Here ye Here ye....haha j/k....Here is a great recipe without marshmallow cream...

5 oz. - Corn Syrup
26 oz. - Sugar
Big Pinch - Salt
9 oz. - Evaporated Milk or Heavy cream
---------------------
3 oz. - Butter
---------------------
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
or
6 oz creamy peanut butter

1)Put the corn syrup sugar salt and evaporated milk in a pot and start to cook...wash down the sides of the pot frequently until all the sugar crystals have melted down to a syrup.
2)Once that syrup is at a boil add the butter
3)Wash down sides whenever needed to keep crystals from forming on the sides of the pot.
4)cook syrup to 238 Degrees F.
5)add vanilla and either chocolate or Peanut butter depending on which one you want...
6) Do NOTHING!!!! Do not move the pot....just let it sit there with the vanilla and peanut butter or chocolate on it....untill it comes down to 110-130 Degrees F.
7) once it comes down to that temp then you can stir everything in....This will create a small small crystal size in the fudge and make it very smooth...
8) once you have mixed it together then pour it into a pan and then cool and cut and eat!

Try it out,
Robert
Chocolate

hey robert-can you do me a favor?

can you transfer the ounces to cups? easier to figure out how much to use. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Well we have I think 3 fudge recipes that we use on fairly regular basis...
Here is on one that does not require marshmallow cream nor a thermometer.

41/2 cups sugar
1 can Evaporated Milk (13oz size0
1 12 oz. semi sweets
1 12 oz. milk chocolates
1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
2 t. vanilla
2-3 cups pecan pieces....

Add milk to sugar...bring to a boil..for 6 minutes!! The time is important!
remove from heat...add all chocolate, butter, vanilla, and pecans. beat with mixer until glossy. pour into a buttered dish and let cool...Cut into small squares....

star- about 12 miles north of st. johns or 30 mi north of lansing. my mother and a few realtives still live in michigan. i know where jackson is. :) i have lived in northern california for almost 27 yrs. consider myself a native. walnut creek here.

Last edited:
Bob, your recipe makes all my problems go away on so many levels ^_^

Thanks!

the best and easiest ever!

I tried this recipe, and wow. Everyone loved it. I gave myself migraines over it - by eating too much. It was worth it.

Can I use cream instead of evap milk next time?

Well we have I think 3 fudge recipes that we use on fairly regular basis...
Here is on one that does not require marshmallow cream nor a thermometer.

41/2 cups sugar
1 can Evaporated Milk (13oz size0
1 12 oz. semi sweets
1 12 oz. milk chocolates
1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
2 t. vanilla
2-3 cups pecan pieces....

Add milk to sugar...bring to a boil..for 6 minutes!! The time is important!
remove from heat...add all chocolate, butter, vanilla, and pecans. beat with mixer until glossy. pour into a buttered dish and let cool...Cut into small squares....

Scott- I'm in Jackson, Michigan. Where in Michigan are you from? Good luck with the fudge- the cold water test has never failed me yet.:)

:ohmy: Flashback ... I was born in Jackson!

So as not to threadjack, I am a fudge cheater! The Pampered Chef way would be to melt a tub of frosting and a bag of chocolate chips together! Don't ask me why I make everything else from scratch and not fudge. I guess I'd much rather go to Mackinac Island and buy it!

Back
Top Bottom