Fudged again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Just started to make batch of fudge. After melting the butter and sugar together, I realized that I had bought Sweetened condensed milk. Not Evaporated milk..:huh:

What can I do with the 3 Cups sugar, 1 1/2 sticks of butter? Everything else is already to go..

Thank you

Munky.

Eagle Brand has a good fudge recipe made with its sweetened condensed milk. No butter or additional sugar needed.

You may need to make 2 batches of fudge, one Eagle, one your traditional way! Use some heavy cream, maybe cook regular milk down?

Last edited:
Thank you both for the help.
I stuck with the original recipe. Used milk and cooked it down low and slow.
Measured out the amount that I needed. So far it's setting up nicely. I think it's going to work.

For the future. Here's a little tidbit of information that I found out how you can make your own Evaporated milk. I'll stock up on some powdered milk. Good to have some on hand for emergencies anyways.. Didn't know you could do that..

How to Make Evaporated Milk? - Answers.Ask.com

Munky.

Around here milk powder is expensive. Until very recently I had never heard of using evaporated milk in fudge, just condensed milk. Of course it was here that I learned this.

Powdered milk is one of the things I pick up when I'm in the States. Can't believe how expensive it is here in Canada.

When I was growing up, we never got whole milk to drink. It was always mixed half and half with Powdered Carnation Milk. Ice cold, it's good, but when not cold, all of us kids thought it was disgusting stuff.

Whole milk was like manna from heaven to us. We couldn't get enough of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom