German chocolate in candy recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentmeow

Senior Cook
I am making a crockpot candy recipe and it calls for..1 german chocolate bar. I am familiar with the bits and barks but this one has me stumped! Does anyone know what this is and why it is special? Don't laugh but last year I just bought a big bar of chocolate from Germany and used that, go ahead and laugh but repeat it and I'll deny it! Thanks for your help.

I know there is german chocolate just as there is bark. Maybe that is it??
It's in squares just the same. It's not as big of a package.

They are probably referring to Baker's German's Chocolate

It's a sweet baking chocolate. It's not from Germany; it was invented by a guy named German. Hence "German's chocolate." They used to make it a few blocks from my house at the Baker chocolate factory (now condos).

It's what you use to make German Chocolate Cake.

Last edited:
I have seen german chocolate in stores like WAL-MART and Albertsons in a small package but I have not seen it in a while.

Grace:punk:

Thanks for all the help. I'll check our Wal-Mart tomorrow! I googled it last year but never came up with any info. So it is named after a person and not a country, wow. I think I just learned my one new thing for the day. Thanks.

jennyema said:
You will find it in any supermarket. Look at the link in my first post for a pic of the package.

Thanks for the link. Yes I have seen that in stores, my whole life it seems like....guess I always read the Bakers and not the German's. Thank you so very much. This is an easy candy and being candy challenged, well need I say more. Will get my crockpot out tomorrow, buy the ingredients, melt everything and make some fantastic candy for the holiday season!

This recipe is by E. Fullerton from another recipe site. It has received many good reviews and is quite versatile....

1 16oz package dry roasted salted peanuts
1 16oz package unsalted dry roasted peanuts
1 12oz package semi-sweet chocolate bits
1 German chocolate bar
32 oz white almond bark

Place peanuts in the bottom of the crockpot.
Add other ingredients.
Cook on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Place spoonfulls onto wax paper and allow to cool.

It is really a wonderfully easy recipe and stores well. I added slivered almonds and used honey roasted peanuts last time as I needed to use them up! I plan on X2 or X3 the recipe this year, a lot of them disappeared before I could bag and seal them! Is there a place to post recipes on this site?

Back
Top Bottom