Giant Gummy Bear help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waggy89

Assistant Cook
Hi there!
I saw on TV last week that one of the celebrity chefs made a GIANT gummy bear/baby.

Thinking this would be a great novelty gift for my gf for christmas, I ordered the plastic mould and followed some youtube instructions (the recipe from tv wasn't given out) and gave it a go as a test.

The end result, a rather hilarious catastrophe, shows that i neither got the consistency of the mixture quite right, as well as having big problems in getting the gummy-stuff out of the mould afterwards... :glare:

Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me with my second attempt?!

My recipe below...

Giant Gummy Baby:
750ml water
120g unflavoured gelatin
720g strawberry (or any) flavoured gelatin

Picture of my attempt attached! :neutral:
img_1214640_0_4ee81ab23e4ebfa254ec98fe1769c845.jpg

Just taking a shot in the dark here but maybe try spray oiling the mold first

I did wonder about greasing/lining the mould with something, but you pour the hot gelatin into it, so assumed that any lubricant would be rendered useless...

Will bear in mind for my next attempt though..

waggy89 said:
I did wonder about greasing/lining the mould with something, but you pour the hot gelatin into it, so assumed that any lubricant would be rendered useless...

Will bear in mind for my next attempt though..

Maybe not if you do it gentle. Ever try to clean greasy dishes?

I'm no gummy expert, but it looks pretty opaque for gummy, they're usually translucent. Wonder if you need to stir more to allow the gelatin to dissolve better? Did it turn out kinda grainy? Maybe it didn't set long enough?

Hope it tasted good!

Welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Did you try dipping the mold into hot water like when you release a jello mold? It might work.

I'm no gummy expert, but it looks pretty opaque for gummy, they're usually translucent. Wonder if you need to stir more to allow the gelatin to dissolve better? Did it turn out kinda grainy? Maybe it didn't set long enough?

Hope it tasted good!

Welcome to DC!
My thoughts too.

I bought one at a candy shop in Williamsburg this past summer. If you Google "World's Largest gummy bear" you will find links to buy the 5 lb gummy bear.

Thanks for all your help. Second attempt happening later today - will let you know how it goes, bearing in mind your suggestions!
W

Maybe you want to consider a different method. I have done gummies on a small scale 2 times. The first time I used jello, water and gelatin to get an opaque, super sticky, hard to chew, weak on flavour gummy.

The second time however I found a bit better. I used a recipe that involved heating sugar, water (or fruit juice), corn syrup, flavouring, and adding in the gelatin water mix. The gummies came out clear, still very sticky, but much easier to eat and more flavourful. The stickiness was easy to fix, I simply rolled the whole slab of gummy in sugar, cut into pieces and rolled them again.

Also, try lining the mold with saran wrap.

Hope you still get another chance to try.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom