Grandma's Date Nut Coconut Candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Whenever I visited my paternal Grandmother she always had a plate of homemade candy. This is her recipe.

Date-nut Coconut Candy

2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1-1/2 Tbs. butter
1 cup chopped dates
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. shredded coconut
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine sugar, milk and butter and cook until it reaches the soft ball stage (test in cold water - mixture will flatten but can be picked up). Add chopped dates and cook 5 minutes longer. Add chopped walnuts, coconut and vanilla. Beat by hand until thick. Butter a 3 inch strip on 6 feet of waxed paper. Spoon the mixture along the strip and spread with a knife into a square shape. Be careful, the mixture is very hot. Let candy set, then cut into 1 inch squares and wrap in waxed paper. I can attest to it being very hot, so take care you don't burn your fingers!

Fraidy

Fraidy, I finally remembered to give this recipe to my Mom because it looked like the recipe that my Grandmother always made but she wouldn't share it with anyone. The only differences is that my Grandmother used evaporated milk and she poured the candy into a buttered dish to set up and then cut into squares. Thank you so much for posting this!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom