"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Grandma's Peanut Butter Fudge

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 and 1/2 cup peanut butter

Add everything in a heavy pan. (we always used a cast iron skillet) Bring to boil on medium heat. Siring frequently to keep from scorching. Cook to soft ball stage. (when a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball in cold water) Remove from heat. When mixture stops bubbling, mix well. The color will dull slightly and the mixture will start to get firm. Pour into a buttered 8 inch pan.

My Grandmother made the best ever peanut butter fudge. Simple and delicious! She taught me how when I was about 10 years old. She taught me how to watch the bubbles as it boiled so I would know when to test it, and to watch the mixture change color and texture as I mixed it before putting it into the buttered pan. It was fudge by recipe and by sight, and special time with my grandmother.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thanks for sharing your recipe...does this make a soft fudge or a hard one? Or maybe that depends on cooking to the right stage? I'm not experienced at candy making.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

It makes a firm fudge. I have also used it as icing on a cake. (didn't cook it as long as for fudge.)

It should be stored in a tight container such as plasticware because it dries out if kept too long. However, it never lasts very long at my house.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

thanks for the response. i'm thinking ahead to Christmas and thinking about making a variety of fudges to give as gifts. i'm adding this one to my list.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I always add a few pieces of this fudge to gift cookie trays at holidays. I wrap up each piece individually with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out too quickly. Most people say that is their favorite part.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose
...... I have also used it as icing on a cake. (didn't cook it as long as for fudge........

OMG, I read that out to the Husband, who started to drool like Pavlovs dog, lol!

That is definitly a good one.....chocolate cake for a Reese's influence? Oh dear, and peanut butter is so expensive here too Thank you. I am not keen on Royal Icings so any different frostings are always really well received
Old 08-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Everymom

I don't have any evaporated milk, but what I have done in the past is added a couple tbsps of powdered milk to regular milk. Think that would be OK here? I don't feel like shopping, but this looks yummers. I think I might drizzle chocolate over it.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I have not done it but, I read that you can substitute regular liquid milk for evaporated milk in recipes. It would be a equal substitution.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Stinker Send a message via Yahoo to Stinker
I made this fudge and it turned out perfectly. Oh my gosh......best peanut butter fudge and so easy. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sounds heavenly. I love peanut butter fudge.

When I was in elementary school - eons ago - we used to have an annual fall festival. There were games, bake sale tables, cake walks, etc. My third grade teacher, Miss Oma, always brought her homemade peanut butter fudge to sell. It went out of the place like it had wings. I have a feeling this recipe is close to the one she used. Can't wait to make some.

Tags
None