HELP! peanut brittle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Peanut Brittle

Is it very hard to make? Anyone have any recipe's for a beginner to try?:chef:

There is a recipe in the thread link below. Peanut brittle is easy to make. Here is a recipe from that AllenMI posted. If you like thicker brittle do not spread thinly after pouring into pans.

Peanut Brittle
Yields: 2 #

2 c Sugar
1 c Light corn syrup
1 c Water
1 T Margarine or butter
2 c Peanuts
1 t Vanilla
1 t Baking soda

Generously butter 2 cookies sheets. In large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Continue cooking until candy thermometer reaches hard crack stage (300ºF.), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour onto cookie sheets; spread as thin as possible. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store in airtight container in cool dry place.

Here is the recipe that I have used.

Butter-Nut Brittle

2 c sugar
1 c light corn syrup
1 c water
3 c unsalted dry roasted mixed nuts
2 T butter or margarine
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda

Mix sugar, syrup and water in a large heavy saucepan. Cover and heat to boiling. Uncover and cook rapidly to 236° on candy thermometer. (Soft ball stage) Stir in nuts slowly, keeping mixture bubbling. Cook rapidly, stirring constantly, to hard ball stage. (280°) Stir in butter continue cooking to 300°
Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla: sprinkle soda over top quickly, then stir vigorously about 15 seconds or until mixture is puffy. Pour at once into greased baking pan 15x10x1". Cool completely. Break into bite size pieces.
Store in a container that has a tight fitting lid.​

Peanut Brittle flop, HELP!!

My peanut brittle didn't harden. I followed one of the recipes here but no luck. This is my first time trying to make it. I had no candy thermometer, and I suppose that was my down fall. It also didn't turn a brownish color that I could tell. I shelled salted in the shell peanuts. OK, since this didn't turn out, do I have to throw the whole batch?

Last edited:
My first try at peanut brittle and it didn't harden. Do I have to throw the whole batch out now?? Think maybe I didn't boil it long enough. thanks for any help....

Thumper, I merged your thread to the original but I will bump you up... I hope you will get the help you need soon!

Well, thumper, you're in MN so I don't think it's the weather, but if you have had warm and/or wet weather it won't harden like it does in cold dry weather. Sounds like you need to get a candy thermometer and to cook yours more. Cooking it longer turns it brown.

BC

I don't know if you're interested...but we always make our brittle in the microwave...and you don't need a thermometer. Our microwave is 1100 Watts...if you have less...cook each section a couple extra minutes.

MICROWAVE PEANUT BRITTLE

MIX TOGETHER IN 2 QUART MICROWAVE BOWL:

1 CUP SUGAR
1/2 CUP CORN SYRUP
MICROWAVE 4 MINUTES

ADD

1 TEASPOON BUTTER OR MARGARINE
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
MICROWAVE 2 1/2 MINUTES

ADD:
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA AND STIR UNTIL COLOR APPEARS.
(It will only take a minute or two.)

POUR OVER SALTED PEANUTS ON A COOKY SHEET. (As many peanuts as you want.)
You can also use pecans for pecan brittle....or I guess anything you like!
When cool...break into pieces.

If someone out there tries this...please let me know if it works as well for you as it does for me.

Thanks so much for the responds, but what I want to know is there any way I can save what i have now? I think i will ditch it all and start over. Thanks again for the info and maybe i will try thr micro one. youe all so good here.

Back
Top Bottom