"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Help with cutting melted candy

I need help figuring out the best way to cut melted hard candies into shapes. I've melted hard candy before and broken them into jagged pieces, but now I need to figure out how to cut into shapes. My plan is to melt blue jolly ranchers and cut into squares and rectangles. I'm making an Anrgy Birds cake for my sons Birthday and need these for the "glass" blocks. Ive seen using cookie cutters but you would be surprised how hard it is to find regular shaped cookie cutters, planes, cats, and trees all day long but no squares. THANK YOU!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Before the candy has reset to hard ball stage, use a hot edge of a knife while the candy is still a little soft, and not quite brittle. You have to be quick though, real quick. If you have a heat lamp handy, it may help to keep things pliable until you are ready for them to set.

I am sure though that your local cake/baking supply store would have every shape under the sun, then it would just be a matter of while everything is still molten, pouring molds.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No help from me with the candy melting, but for the molds you could use tinsnips to cut molds from smooth tin cans or thin pieces of tin from the hardware store. Just wash them well first and wear gloves. Even heavy duty aluminum foil quadrupled into strips and formed into squares might work. Another thought is old fashioned metal ice cube trays, with the mini cube insets.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you! I'll have to try that.

There aren't really any baking supply stores in my area, I wish there was. It's basically Walmart and target for me. :(

Ive been toying with the idea of making the glass balls from the game too. Any ideas on how to make jolly rancher orbs?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. Maybe get some little DumDum lollypops and dip them in melted blue Jolly Rogers candy? Let dry, then remove the sticks.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Sous Chef

It seems like what you are trying to create is similar to windows in a ginger bread house. Have you done a Google search on something like that? There's all kinds of information on sugar glass sheeting and forming.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I make my own hard candies on a regular basis, and I rarely find myself with enough time to cut, or even stretch the candy into a strand. I think this is something that requires a hot table.

The best I have managed to do is make markings using a bench scraper, and then I snapped the pieces off after cooling. Maybe consider using a ruler stick (a clean one). I warn you though, this can be risky. Over the years I have manage to get a few cuts and blisters working with this stuff. I have heard of cases where people have cut themselves bad enough to need stitching.

https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8611-sh...e-breakup.aspx

I use these molds sometimes. They work okay. They are very flexible. The hard part is pouring them to that perfect spot so they don't all attach as one piece at the tops. They don't seem like they can handle the 300 degree candy, but they've survived at least a dozen of my batches.

Good luck :)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I'm not sure how large the pieces are that you need, but there are a variety of silicone icecube trays out there that you might use as molds. Both target and sears carry them as well as a variety of other places...

Name:   icecube1.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  7.3 KB

Name:   icecube2.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  10.1 KB

Name:   icecube3.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  8.4 KB
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Ooo didn't even think of an ice cube tray. I know there had to be some kind of silicone molds I could use. This should just narrow the search.

Tags
candy, jolly ranchers, other