"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Smile Herbs and spices in candy

Iam looking for candy ideas and recipes that use herbs and spices

sun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Sous Chef
I've never made candy, but if you have a lemondrop-type recipe, you can infuse it with tarragon, thyme, rosemary, basil, even chili pepper.

For a fruit dip, we've discussed in DC (and I have often made) using simple syrup steeped with peppermint leaves, remove leaves then add lime zest & juice, cayenne pepper. I don't see why you couldn't boil that to the hardball stage. Actually, that sounds really good, I think I'll try it!

I love chili-lime and chili-mango lollipops!

Good luck

JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Head Chef
For a time it was very popular to use pepper with chocolate and also teas in baking. I am not a huge fan of either. I think it would probably be best for you to taste some stuff similar to what you want to make before you give it a go (if you have not already). I consider these things fads. For a time it was de rigeur to decorate with candied violets and I did but no one liked them. It was chic but fell flat amongst my friends and family. Looked cute as heck, though.
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Head Chef
Growing up in India where spices are abundant there are spices in candies. Sounds weird but tastes great.

There was a hard candy that had lime juice, black pepper and cumin powder added to it. The sweet and spicy with the pungent cumin was great.

There is a tamarind candy that is made in Thailand that I love and I always buy which is made with sugar, chili powder, tamarind and is again sweet, spicy and just delectable .

Many Mexican markets also use this combination of chili powder, tamarind and cumin in candies. It goes very well together.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote