Herbs and spices in candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sun45

Assistant Cook
Iam looking for candy ideas and recipes that use herbs and spices
thankyou.:chef:

I've never made candy, but if you have a lemondrop-type recipe, you can infuse it with tarragon, thyme, rosemary, basil, even chili pepper.

For a fruit dip, we've discussed in DC (and I have often made) using simple syrup steeped with peppermint leaves, remove leaves then add lime zest & juice, cayenne pepper. I don't see why you couldn't boil that to the hardball stage. Actually, that sounds really good, I think I'll try it!

I love chili-lime and chili-mango lollipops!

Good luck

For a time it was very popular to use pepper with chocolate and also teas in baking. I am not a huge fan of either. I think it would probably be best for you to taste some stuff similar to what you want to make before you give it a go (if you have not already). I consider these things fads. For a time it was de rigeur to decorate with candied violets and I did but no one liked them. It was chic but fell flat amongst my friends and family. Looked cute as heck, though.

Growing up in India where spices are abundant there are spices in candies. Sounds weird but tastes great.

There was a hard candy that had lime juice, black pepper and cumin powder added to it. The sweet and spicy with the pungent cumin was great.

There is a tamarind candy that is made in Thailand that I love and I always buy which is made with sugar, chili powder, tamarind and is again sweet, spicy and just delectable .

Many Mexican markets also use this combination of chili powder, tamarind and cumin in candies. It goes very well together.

Back
Top Bottom