Honeycomb - SeaFoam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New Zealand

This is a link to a fair dinkum Kiwi Hokey Pokey recipe! It is a quintessential confection here, and HP icecream is always the top seller.
I note that some people who have posted talk about boiling the mix for 7 minutes. Ummmm, that will give a burnt product for sure, especially if you are using golden syrup ( and molasses is not the same as golden syrup). Not sure about corn syrup.
Also, make sure you use a saucepan bigger than you think you need, the mix bubbles up amazingly once the soda is added.

For a homemade HP icecream, just fold crushed/small chunks of HP through slightly softened vanilla icecream and refreeze for a couple of weeks. That allows the HP to melt into the icecream slightly.

Yummy stuff!!:)

ETA...Lyle's Golden Syrup > Home

If you contact Lyles, they should be able to tell you where your closest stockist is.

Last edited:
Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New ZealandThis is a link to a fair dinkum Kiwi Hokey Pokey recipe! It is a quintessential confection here, and HP icecream is always the top seller.I note that some people who have posted talk about boiling the mix for 7 minutes. Ummmm, that will give a burnt product for sure, especially if you are using golden syrup ( and molasses is not the same as golden syrup). Not sure about corn syrup.Also, make sure you use a saucepan bigger than you think you need, the mix bubbles up amazingly once the soda is added.For a homemade HP icecream, just fold crushed/small chunks of HP through slightly softened vanilla icecream and refreeze for a couple of weeks. That allows the HP to melt into the icecream slightly.Yummy stuff!!:)ETA...Lyle's Golden Syrup > HomeIf you contact Lyles, they should be able to tell you where your closest stockist is.
I don't know if you read this next part [I'm about to write] in another thread. I was raised since 6 years old with Lyle's Golden syrup. It is amazing stuff. Light corn syrup is not like it at all, but for this recipe, will do in a pinch. I continue buying Lyle's when I'm starting to run out of it. There is a specialty store by LAX that I get it along with the Treacle that I eat straight out of the jar by spoonful [but I digress]:ohmy: gad it's good.
So Lynan, how many minutes would you say to boil this concoction away before pulling and adding the baking soda? I'm with you, you have to watch it like a hawk, cause it can go from perfect to perfectly bad in 3 seconds flat:blink:

Thanks, Auzzi, what an interesting recipe...I'll give it a try! (It sounds VERY strongly flavored since it's almost entirely molasses...maybe I'll start with a "light" molasses.) I think I've seen that recipe book on eBay and was considering getting it.Best regards,
Josh
let's see, what is the biggest font I can use on this thread?
oKay, I'll try here goes..........
I LOVE MOLASSES
I take a teaspoon and dip it in, just to take out a smidge and suck on it like a real treat

Huh. I had never heard of this stuff! I'm going to make some.

Does anyone know if it will ship well? I know someone who would loves candy and is a few states over. Think it will keep if I wrap in plastic wrap, put it in a tin, and send it out the day after making?

Tiggzie I think it will be just fine. I don't think it can really go stale to easlily.

You can also dip it in chocolate.

Does anyone know if it will ship well? I know someone who would loves candy and is a few states over. Think it will keep if I wrap in plastic wrap, put it in a tin, and send it out the day after making?
I can't really say cause I haven't been the recipient just the sender. I put lots of plastic bags on the bottom of the box, set the saran wrapped candy in there and more plastic bags on top. I hope it's made it to each destination:ohmy:

a year ago i realised i had lost my microwave recipe for honeycomb.i was inspired to look for it by this thread,searched high and low to no avail.

found it yesterday...obviously i didn't search far and wide

I have made SeaFoam and HoneyComb...Seafoam I found to be a very light confection,very nice.

recipe is based on a 650watt microwave (do they still make them?hehe)

Microwave Honeycomb
(australian measurements apply)

1 cup sugar

4 tablespoons golden syrup

4 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon water

4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

place sugar,golden syrup,honey and water in large heat resistant microwave bowl (you'll need one with a lid)

heat on high to just under boilihg point (about 1-2 minutes) stir to dissolve sugar.cover bowl with lid

bring to boiling point on high for 2 minutes,thenremove lid.this dissolves any sugar grains around he bowl sides

continue boiling on high to a temperature of 130*C (265*F) or Hard Ball - about 4-5 minutes

remove from microwave adn allow ro cool for five minutes.Stir in bicarb thoroughly until mixture froths up

spoon honeycomb onto a lightly oiled foil container or slice pan. allow to stand until cold.break up into pieces and fill small plastic bags.

remember the times are based on a 650 watt microwave,so readjust accordingly.

i reckon it would post well,as long as it is very airtight,as any moisture in the air makes it go tacky.

I've sent mine to 9 people in here.
I haven't been told that it came sticky or soggy or anything.
But that could just mean everyone was very kind.
I've shipped it to the kids and had it at their house and it was perfect.
But yes, do send it quickly, in other words, not snail mail if you can help it cause it possibly could wilt.
Make yourself a batch and see if you like it.
I've made mine with every imaginable kind of chocolate chips and syrups, never met a batch I didn't love. Ok, so there was one but I can't remember what I did wrong other than the timing of cooking the sugar and syrup it got away from me.

It depends on the weather and how soon it gets there andif someone is home to receive it. I know in humid S. Florida you would have a problem. It would get sticky.

Back
Top Bottom