Honeycomb - SeaFoam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, but here's a tip - next time you're at Disneyland/world, buy their honeycomb, it's fabulous!

I had Hokey Pokey (seafoam/honeycomb) candy sent to me in my Christmas box, from Lynan.

I think I remember having it a long time ago but it must have been 45 yrs. omg, when I opened the bag of hokey pokeys, it was like I was an addict because they were so good :sick: . This brand was dipped in chocolate.

I'm really glad to see that the recipe is very easy since I'll be making this often!

Hokey Pokey Recipe | Recipezaar

Last edited by a moderator:
Seafoam is very similar to Honeycomb but it lacks the molasass that Honeycomb ususally has...it is almost pure sure...(I have made Seafoam many time but have not seen honeycomb made, so if there are exact differences then feel free to jump in the conversation)...

One things not mentioned above that I have always used in seafoam is Gelatin...

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

Last edited:
My mom and I make it at Christmas most years. I don't have her recipe, just do what she tells me to!

Our's uses gelatin too (cherry to be exact). We also press a pecan half into each piece after it's plopped as well.

I can get the recipe if you are interested ...

Try :

Honeycomb
6 tbs white sugar
2 tbs golden syrup/honey/corn syrup/maple syrup
2 tsp water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Place sugar, golden syrup and water in a heavy saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar is dissolved
Bring to the boil and boil for seven minutes
Remove from the heat and quickly add the bicarbonate of soda
At this point the mixture will froth
Stir quickly and pour into a greased 7x11" tin
As the mixture starts to cool, mark into pieces
When cold, break into pieces and wrap in cellophane ready for sale
If making a few days in advance, make sure you store in an air tight jar

Hello! the Honeycomb and Seafoam "sound" as delicious as a candy my aunt used to make, unfortunately her recipe was lost.
I would like to make it, coud you please tell me how to make the one with gelatine? And how the gelatine affect the foam?

Looking for NON-seafoam Honeycomb...

This is my first post and honeycomb happens to be the reason I joined!

I love "Molasses Honeycomb," which is different from Seafoam-style honeycomb as it's not simply boiled, stirred, and poured into a pan. Molasses honeycomb is poured onto a slab immediately after the baking soda is stirred in, then cooled and stretched. The molasses gives it a more complex flavor than Seafoam. (Incidentally, in my search for Molasses Honeycomb recipes, I read more than two dozen seafoam-style recipes, none of which contained gelatin. Can't imagine why you'd need gelatin for a hard candy!)

My first attempt at making Molasses honeycomb at home -- this past Friday -- was a failure. I used the ONLY recipe I've found so far, in Peter Greweling's new book "Chocolates & Confections." I think, though, that part of my problem is that I repeatedly folded and pulled the honeycomb, trying to get a glossy look to it that probably also destroyed the bubbles and made the candy far too dense. But I'm not sure that was the problem, and Chef Greweling's instructions are a little vague on the pulling process for this candy.

SO...if anybody has any recipes for "Molasses Honeycomb," and/or has seen it made and can offer me any pointers, I would be very appreciative! I'd much rather make it than buy it!

--Josh

Molasses Honeycomb

Molasses Honeycomb Woman's World Magazine 1920's.
1 cup molasses
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
8 teaspoons water
3/8 tsp bicarb soda
1 teaspoon vinegar - most any kind
Measure and set aside the bicarb soda.
Using a larg pot, boil all ingredients to hard crack.
Stir in soda which will foam up.
Pour into greased pans as a thin layer.
Cool quickly to set the bubbles.

Thanks, Auzzi, what an interesting recipe...I'll give it a try! (It sounds VERY strongly flavored since it's almost entirely molasses...maybe I'll start with a "light" molasses.) I think I've seen that recipe book on eBay and was considering getting it.

Best regards,
Josh

I am going to plead ignorance here - the terms: seafoam or sponge: are not common ..

Hokey Pokey

10 T sugar
4 T dark corn syrup OR honey OR Lyle's OR Treacle
1 1/2 t baking soda

Butter a piece of foil and lay it on the counter
Measure out the baking soda and have it at the ready
In heavy saucepan, put the sugar and the syrup
Stir together as best you can with a wooden spoon
Turn on high heat
You may not stir, but you may swirl the pan
Cook for 5 minutes or until you smell and see the right color, medium to darkish amber and smelling not burnt
Turn off heat, and quickly dump in baking soda and stir like a fool to incorporate the soda and froth up
Dump onto foil and if using the chocolate pieces, toss in quicker than you can say boo, they'll fall into the puffy glob
Let sit on counter, do not touch, for 15 minutes
Come back to it, take off the foil, drop it back onto the counter, and it now is in shards for your eating pleasure.

Last edited:
I used to work at Rocky Mountain Chocolate.......
I'm still looking for the right copy of thier recipe, I may ask my old boss if she has it, she gave me the fudge recipe. Rather, I remembered it right and she confirmed it. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom