How to Make Fudge Softer & Crumblier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebenezer

Assistant Cook
Hi. I have a long and wearisome history of failing to persuade fudge to be like it is in the shops: light, claylike and borderline crumbly.

What can I add to a basic vanilla fudge recipe to make it behave itself instead of being impossibly chewy and impossible to cut up? That's to say, which ingredient needs to be either included or increased/decreased? Is there an ingredient which is specifically responsible for lightness in fudge?

I've experimented with cooking times and when I reduce the time it just doesn't solidify properly. If I increase the time, it sets like glass. Yet when I steer a middle course time-wise and do the 'soft ball' test in some cold water, the result always suggests that the end product will be okay. But it never is.

Can anyone advise me before I jump under a bus? Many thanks.

Most of the shop fudges use marshmallow cream.
Now on most candy making. Bright sunny day. Very little humidity. Oh and a good candy thermometer.

Basically I was only wondering what ingredient (other than fluid or butter) results in fudge being soft as opposed to chewy.

I'm ignorant, see.

Thanks.

I suspect either you're not letting it cool to tepid before you begin beating it, or you're not beating it til it's thick and glossy.

There is no magic ingredient. Sugar-butter-cream-flavor-salt. Some add a bit of corn or other inverted syrup to reduce crystalization. And don't make fudge on a humid day.

Most of the shop fudges use marshmallow cream.
Now on most candy making. Bright sunny day. Very little humidity. Oh and a good candy thermometer.

I think cinisajoy is right about the marshmallow cream. I know that See's candy shops use it for their best ever fudge. There are many copy cat recipes on line for See's Fudge.

Old fashioned fudge can be temperamental. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree with Silversage about beating the fudge to improve the consistency/texture of the finished product.

These days I would go with a modern recipe that uses marshmallow cream or sweetened condensed milk.

This recipe for vanilla fudge will give you a creamy texture similar to a truffle, it is expensive compared to the old fashioned recipes but it is pretty much foolproof.

Creamy White Fudge

Last edited:
How to Make Fudge Softer & Crumblier?

I've made chocolate fudge with sweetened condensed milk, it had a nice texture. I used the recipe on the back of the can.

Last edited:
TIP OF THE DAY!

Store your can of sweetened condensed milk upside down in your pantry. Then when you open it right side up, all the sugar is at the top and comes out easily. The liquid behind it pushes the sugar right out. :angel:

I keep forgetting to do this. Great tip.

Hi. I have a long and wearisome history of failing to persuade fudge to be like it is in the shops: light, claylike and borderline crumbly.

I just made my first batch ever and it was light, claylike and borderline crumbly, quite by accident though, as I let the temp go too high and didn't know yet how to rescue it by adding more milk. My mom declared it was overcooked, but I still preferred it to too-soft goo that melts all over your fingers.

I'm new at this but I would think fat content and final cooking temp reached by the sugar slurry before you remove and cool, and of course the success of the final set. In short, I'm not sure, maybe an expert will chime in. In the meantime, here's a decent troubleshooting page:

Skaarup Fudge Making Lessons

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom