Humidity and Marshmallow-making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Does anyone know if the marshmallow-making process is any different in humid weather? I know a lot of candies won't set up properly if it's humid, but I'm hoping marshmallows will still work because of the gelatin. I keep seeing blog posts about making them during the summer, but has anyone tried it in a humid area?

Does anyone know if the marshmallow-making process is any different in humid weather? I know a lot of candies won't set up properly if it's humid, but I'm hoping marshmallows will still work because of the gelatin. I keep seeing blog posts about making them during the summer, but has anyone tried it in a humid area?

I went on the hunt for marshmallow recipes. Food Network, All Recipes, A Taste of Home, etc. I look at all the five star ones. I must have looked at about ten recipes. Not one mentioned "humidity" as a concern. One recipe gave very detailed directions, including how to clean your spatula halfway through using it and prepare it again as the marshmallow is very sticky. They kept telling you to constantly dust your equipment in corn starch due to the stickiness. It even told you how to was your equipment when you were through. But it never mentioned anything, not one word, about humidity.
I say go for it. :angel:

Sprout, I'm here in central Wisconsin and make marshmallows several times a year, including for the 4th of July which is typically humid.

Here is the recipe I use ... Homemade Marshmallows Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network ... and they always turn out good. I have subbed out the vanilla for almond and even cherry. I've added food coloring to coordinate to different parties. I've had good results with everything. The tastiest thing, though, is I dip half of the finished marshmallow in melted chocolate. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom