"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy I think I messed my fudge up.

I dont think my fudge looks rigth. The fudge I make in my fooking class I was able to pour like a batter. This just looks weird. I mean I tasted it it tastes okay. I followed everything the recipe says. Here is the recipe I used

Dad's Favorite Fudge Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 lb semi-sweet chocolate, chips or block chocolate chopped up
7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
Method
1 Prepare everything in advance and have ready to go - chopped chocolate, chopped nuts,
best to have marshmallow cream already out of the
jar and in a bowl that you can easily scrape out with a rubber spatula.
Line a 13"x9"x2" baking pan with foil, butter the inside
(alternatively, line the pan with waxed paper).
2 In a 3-quart, thick-bottomed saucepan, bring sugar, butter, and milk to a rolling boil on medium heat,
stirring constantly once the mixture begins to bubble. Once the mixture reaches a boil, set your timer to 4 minutes.
You will want to remove the mixture from the heat once it reaches 234F on a candy thermometer
(234F at sea-level, adjust for altitude) which should take about 4 minutes. If you don't have a candy
thermometer, just go with the four minutes.
3 Remove from heat. Quickly stir in chocolate and marshmallow cream.
Once those have melted and are well mixed, stir in the vanilla and then the walnuts.
4 Pour into prepared pan.
5 Cool to room temperature before slicing (about 4 hours). You may want to chill
in the refrigerator to get it more firm.
Makes about 3 pounds of fudge.

After I put it in the pan and smoothd it out the top was like watery. Did I not stir it long enough?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Hmmm....not sure, when I made mine and the first batch went screwy it was because we stirred it too long. I used a different recipe than you did, though, so I'm not sure if it was the ingredients or not. Fudge can be tricky, I thought I followed the recipe to the T when I messed mine up, too. But since the consistency is the key to fudge it's a bit of a dance to get it just right.

Did you use a candy thermometer? You may not have let it cook long enough.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

No I dont have one. We have an electric stove to. I really wish I knew what I did.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef

It doesn't say where you are from. Are you at sea level? I know that altitude can affect the temp. at which things happen with fudge. ??
Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Im in Wi. I guess I will have to try again some time and this time get a candy thermometer. It is still cooling, so have not tasted it yet.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig0121 View Post
Im in Wi. I guess I will have to try again some time and this time get a candy thermometer. It is still cooling, so have not tasted it yet.
The candy thermometer made all the difference for me. I've heard that not only altitude affects fudge but also humidity, and I'm in a very humid environment. The candy thermometer helped me keep on track with the recipe. Did you check out that link I posted in your other thread? I got some really great advice on this forum, I don't think I could've made my fudge without it.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig0121 View Post
\\I bet you have someone that would eat it anyway. Fudge does not have to be just right. I remember having lots of fun as a kid with the batches tha were not quite right. My mom would say something like "we are having spoon fudge tonight."
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
\\I bet you have someone that would eat it anyway. Fudge does not have to be just right. I remember having lots of fun as a kid with the batches tha were not quite right. My mom would say something like "we are having spoon fudge tonight."
My first batch of fudge (before I posted here asking for help) came out really chewy. Still tasted great but the consistency was totally wrong. We gave it away to neighborhood children who were coming to sing us Christmas carols every night. They thought they won the lottery...."OMG the foreigner gave us FREE CHOCOLATE!"
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

guineapig, here's the thread where I asked for help with my fudge and got some great advice. Hope it helps!

Help me fix my fudge!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Maybe my recipe didn't give me enough directions. With fude am I supposed to stir it the whole entire time? I am going to get a candy thermometer. What type of spoon should I use?

Tags
recipe

I think I messed my fudge up. I dont think my fudge looks rigth. The fudge I make in my fooking class I was able to pour like a batter. This just looks weird. I mean I tasted it it tastes okay. I followed everything the recipe says. Here is the recipe I used Dad's Favorite Fudge Recipe Ingredients 3 cups granulated sugar 3/4 cup unsalted butter 2/3 cup evaporated milk 1 lb semi-sweet chocolate, chips or block chocolate chopped up 7 oz. jar marshmallow cream 1 tsp. vanilla extract 1 cup chopped walnuts Method 1 Prepare everything in advance and have ready to go - chopped chocolate, chopped nuts, best to have marshmallow cream already out of the jar and in a bowl that you can easily scrape out with a rubber spatula. Line a 13"x9"x2" baking pan with foil, butter the inside (alternatively, line the pan with waxed paper). 2 In a 3-quart, thick-bottomed saucepan, bring sugar, butter, and milk to a rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly once the mixture begins to bubble. Once the mixture reaches a boil, set your timer to 4 minutes. You will want to remove the mixture from the heat once it reaches 234F on a candy thermometer (234F at sea-level, adjust for altitude) which should take about 4 minutes. If you don't have a candy thermometer, just go with the four minutes. 3 Remove from heat. Quickly stir in chocolate and marshmallow cream. Once those have melted and are well mixed, stir in the vanilla and then the walnuts. 4 Pour into prepared pan. 5 Cool to room temperature before slicing (about 4 hours). You may want to chill in the refrigerator to get it more firm. Makes about 3 pounds of fudge. After I put it in the pan and smoothd it out the top was like watery. Did I not stir it long enough? [IMG]http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/frillint/DSCI0559.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/frillint/DSCI0563.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/frillint/DSCI0564.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews