"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO candy melt substitution

I decided to make cake pops to give out as favors for my daughters' birthday party, since my plan for the cake will result on a lot of trimmings.
I have a little boy coming who is very allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (among other things). I found a website that sells candy melts that would be safe for him (Peanut Free Planet), but have never heard of it and don't know anything about its reputation. The party is in 2 weeks.
I know I can get safe chocolate chips locally, but the only substitutions I've been able to find online seem to just plain melted white chocolate and I can't even find a description of exactly what candy melts are. I was really hoping to go with milk chocolate.

Any suggestions? Tempered chocolate? Chocolate with a little extra fat added?

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I don't have a suggestion except if I knew a child with extreme allergies was coming a a party at my house, I would not choose that event to experiment with recipes. I would stick with tried and true ingredients that I know would be safe. Maybe the boy's mother can help you with a suggestion if you are determined.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I spend a lot of time with this family and the little boy is very important to me. We've made adaptations to our own lifestyle so that my girls can safely spend time with him. I promise, I have no intention of experimenting with any ingredients that may be unsafe for him. I know all of his allergies and I have a list that I double check every time to be sure I'm not forgetting anything. I'm obsessive about reading labels and checking allergy facts when he will be around. That's the entire reason I'm looking for a way to make my own chocolate coating. His mother makes most of their food from scratch because it's the best way to ensure that no cross contamination occurs, so I'm following her lead. She has not ever made a chocolate coating, but she is the one who directed me to the safe chocolate that I can buy locally.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Here is my search result, Sprout

https://www.google.com/search?q=cand...a&channel=fflb
Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I decided to make cake pops to give out as favors for my daughters' birthday party, since my plan for the cake will result on a lot of trimmings.
I have a little boy coming who is very allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (among other things). I found a website that sells candy melts that would be safe for him (Peanut Free Planet), but have never heard of it and don't know anything about its reputation. The party is in 2 weeks.
I know I can get safe chocolate chips locally, but the only substitutions I've been able to find online seem to just plain melted white chocolate and I can't even find a description of exactly what candy melts are. I was really hoping to go with milk chocolate.

Any suggestions? Tempered chocolate? Chocolate with a little extra fat added?
I use candy melts to make chocolate lollipops for Halloween. I use Wilton Brand. I don't know if they have nut free melts but here is a link to the candy melts.

Dipping Pops in Melted Candy

Give your pops a dunk in Wilton Candy Melts! Dipping is a great way to seal in the flavor and moistness of the cake and creates a great surface for toppings and decorations. Melt them in the Chocolate Pro Melting Pot, which can handle any size pop in this book. For small and medium cake ball pops, try convenient, microwaveable Wilton Candy Dips.

Inserted from <http://www.wilton.com/pops/decorating-pops/dipping-pops-in-melted-candy.cfm>

Check out the site. They have "contact us" info maybe you can call and ask questions. Wilton candy melts are at a lot of stores including party stores like Party City and hobby shops like Michael's. Hope this helps.

Wilton Customer Service

Call 1-888-373-4588 for the following:

• To place an order by phone
  • Damaged or defective products
  • Returns, exchanges or refunds
  • Questions related to an order placed on Wilton.com
Call 1-800-794-5866 for the following:

• Product use & instructions
  • Requests for replacement parts or materials
All other inquires:

Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517
Phone: 1-800-794-5866
Fax: 630-963-7196 or 888-824-9520
Customer Support Request Form

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I think that's very nice of you!

I always use plain chocolate chips, personally, with a little oil and vanilla to help it melt.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I suggest simplicity and would just use water icing. You could make chocolate icing using cocoa powder hence you know exactly what is going in. If you make it a bit on the 'runny' side you should be fine. Let it dry and 'double dip' the pop cakes for that luxurious finish.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Let us know what you come up with. I think the idea about a chocolate water icing sounds promising if you can't figure anything else out.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
Master Chef

I know that this thread is beyond its expiration date, but, Young Grasshoppah, you should have called. I have the answer to your dilemma. What you are seeking is coverture chocolate. It comes in little disks and can be melted in a double boiler, then tempered if you want something a little more high-end, and made into candies, filled candies, chocolate-pops on a stick, etc.

Just sos ya knows, it aint cheap.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Dad, I think you kinda missed the point. I was looking for something I could make myself using ingredients I knew were safe so I could be sure they were safe for him. In the end I ran out of time to make the cake pops anyway, so it didn't matter. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Tags
candy