ISO candy melt substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I decided to make cake pops to give out as favors for my daughters' birthday party, since my plan for the cake will result on a lot of trimmings.
I have a little boy coming who is very allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (among other things). I found a website that sells candy melts that would be safe for him (Peanut Free Planet), but have never heard of it and don't know anything about its reputation. The party is in 2 weeks.
I know I can get safe chocolate chips locally, but the only substitutions I've been able to find online seem to just plain melted white chocolate and I can't even find a description of exactly what candy melts are. I was really hoping to go with milk chocolate.

Any suggestions? Tempered chocolate? Chocolate with a little extra fat added?

Last edited:
I don't have a suggestion except if I knew a child with extreme allergies was coming a a party at my house, I would not choose that event to experiment with recipes. I would stick with tried and true ingredients that I know would be safe. Maybe the boy's mother can help you with a suggestion if you are determined.

I spend a lot of time with this family and the little boy is very important to me. We've made adaptations to our own lifestyle so that my girls can safely spend time with him. I promise, I have no intention of experimenting with any ingredients that may be unsafe for him. I know all of his allergies and I have a list that I double check every time to be sure I'm not forgetting anything. I'm obsessive about reading labels and checking allergy facts when he will be around. That's the entire reason I'm looking for a way to make my own chocolate coating. His mother makes most of their food from scratch because it's the best way to ensure that no cross contamination occurs, so I'm following her lead. She has not ever made a chocolate coating, but she is the one who directed me to the safe chocolate that I can buy locally.

I decided to make cake pops to give out as favors for my daughters' birthday party, since my plan for the cake will result on a lot of trimmings.
I have a little boy coming who is very allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (among other things). I found a website that sells candy melts that would be safe for him (Peanut Free Planet), but have never heard of it and don't know anything about its reputation. The party is in 2 weeks.
I know I can get safe chocolate chips locally, but the only substitutions I've been able to find online seem to just plain melted white chocolate and I can't even find a description of exactly what candy melts are. I was really hoping to go with milk chocolate.

Any suggestions? Tempered chocolate? Chocolate with a little extra fat added?
I use candy melts to make chocolate lollipops for Halloween. I use Wilton Brand. I don't know if they have nut free melts but here is a link to the candy melts.

Dipping Pops in Melted Candy

Give your pops a dunk in Wilton Candy Melts! Dipping is a great way to seal in the flavor and moistness of the cake and creates a great surface for toppings and decorations. Melt them in the Chocolate Pro Melting Pot, which can handle any size pop in this book. For small and medium cake ball pops, try convenient, microwaveable Wilton Candy Dips.

Inserted from <http://www.wilton.com/pops/decorating-pops/dipping-pops-in-melted-candy.cfm>

Check out the site. They have "contact us" info maybe you can call and ask questions. Wilton candy melts are at a lot of stores including party stores like Party City and hobby shops like Michael's. Hope this helps.

Wilton Customer Service

Call 1-888-373-4588 for the following:

• To place an order by phone
  • Damaged or defective products
  • Returns, exchanges or refunds
  • Questions related to an order placed on Wilton.com
Call 1-800-794-5866 for the following:

• Product use & instructions
  • Requests for replacement parts or materials
All other inquires:

Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517
Phone: 1-800-794-5866
Fax: 630-963-7196 or 888-824-9520
Customer Support Request Form

Last edited:
I think that's very nice of you!

I always use plain chocolate chips, personally, with a little oil and vanilla to help it melt.

I suggest simplicity and would just use water icing. You could make chocolate icing using cocoa powder hence you know exactly what is going in. If you make it a bit on the 'runny' side you should be fine. Let it dry and 'double dip' the pop cakes for that luxurious finish.

I know that this thread is beyond its expiration date, but, Young Grasshoppah, you should have called. I have the answer to your dilemma. What you are seeking is coverture chocolate. It comes in little disks and can be melted in a double boiler, then tempered if you want something a little more high-end, and made into candies, filled candies, chocolate-pops on a stick, etc.

Just sos ya knows, it aint cheap.:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Dad, I think you kinda missed the point. I was looking for something I could make myself using ingredients I knew were safe so I could be sure they were safe for him. In the end I ran out of time to make the cake pops anyway, so it didn't matter. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Here's the link to the chocolate I like to use for making my own chocolate creations. It tells you what you want to know.Chocoley Allergen Statement

And here's another one that looks even more promising - Amore di Mona Couverture Chocolate Speciale, Vegan, Allergen Free

If that doesn't satisfy your requirements, then you're right. I missed the ball.

the first product gives you little premium chocolate wafers that you melt, temper if you wish, and use in your confections. I haven't personally tried the products from the 2nd listing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Yeah, I had chocolate that I was trying to make into a chocolate coating that would work. They've moved now, so it may not be an issue again, but just in case it will be good to know you have a tnt site where I might be able to but nut-frew melts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom