ISO Help Flavoring Confectionery Coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krumms Kreations

Assistant Cook
Hi :)

So as the title suggests, I'm wondering about flavoring candy melts/confectionery coating/almond bark/candy quick - toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe ;) But for the purpose of simplicity, let's just call it chocolate lol.

This much I know - most liquids + your chocolate = a big lump of ruined chocolate lol. I know you can use oil based flavorings like Lorann - which I've done.

BUT

I'm wondering if you could take a regular grocery store alcohol based extract, and add it to say, melted: shortening, paraffin wax etc. Then allow it to set up and then add that to the melted chocolate, if because its no longer liquid it won't seize up the chocolate?

Anyone with thoughts, please! Share!
:D

-Lauren

Last edited:
When I make confectionary sugar frosting, I use the extract of the flavor of the cake. If I am making an orange cake, I use orange extract for the flavoring. I also do the same for lemon and other flavors. But I do add the zest of any citrus I am using. Grated with a hasp grater, the pieces are so small, that you don't even know you have them in your mouth. I absolutely hate fondant frosting. And for chocolate cake, they do have a chocolate extract that you can use for the frosting. Just deduct the amount of other liquid for the frosting. If your recipe calls for three tbs. milk and you use one tsp. of liquid chocolate extract, use one less teaspoon of milk.

Welcome to DC. Other answers will be coming along. The members of this forum are filled with really useful information for you to enjoy. :angel:

Last edited:
Hi :)

So as the title suggests, I'm wondering about flavoring candy melts/confectionery coating/almond bark/candy quick - toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe ;) But for the purpose of simplicity, let's just call it chocolate lol.

This much I know - most liquids + your chocolate = a big lump of ruined chocolate lol. I know you can use oil based flavorings like Lorann - which I've done.

BUT

I'm wondering if you could take a regular grocery store alcohol based extract, and add it to say, melted: shortening, paraffin wax etc. Then allow it to set up and then add that to the melted chocolate, if because its no longer liquid it won't seize up the chocolate?

Anyone with thoughts, please! Share!
:D

-Lauren

I've found a new wrinkle in the seized chocolate issue. The chocolate seizes because something cool has just been added to melted chocolate. To avoid this, melt your butter, or fat, add whatever liquid is required, as in milk or cream, bring to a simmer, add flavoring of choice, then melt the chocolate into the liquid, stirring constantly until a smooth consistency is achieved. This will allow you to add most any flavor you desire, including pieces of fruit.

In other words, don't add other things to melted chocolate. Melt the chocolate into the other things.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom