"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO help/tips with ganache

So i just made some ganache but i have never made it before so ido not know if it is the right thickness or thinness. it was 12oz raspberries reduced and then 7oz cream and then strain cream mixture over 20 oz semi sweet chocolate. melt over double boiler and add 3oz butter. then cool for 6 hours. i just barley put it in the fridge and i hope i did it right. it tastes good. is there a way to tell if it is going to turn out alright. i personally think it is.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
So i just made some ganache but i have never made it before so ido not know if it is the right thickness or thinness. it was 12oz raspberries reduced and then 7oz cream and then strain cream mixture over 20 oz semi sweet chocolate. melt over double boiler and add 3oz butter. then cool for 6 hours. i just barley put it in the fridge and i hope i did it right. it tastes good. is there a way to tell if it is going to turn out alright. i personally think it is.
It should be fine as Ganache needs no tempering since you added the cream.What are you using it for?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

i am using it for truffles. its kinda hard to roll into balls so i dont know what to do. i can get them to roll up i just mess my hands up pretty bad. LOL
Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Executive Chef

since I'm not an aficionado on ganache, I wouldn't say one way or the other. the only way I've even done it is equal parts cream to chocolate over the double boiler. yours sounds yummy
Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i am using it for truffles. its kinda hard to roll into balls so i dont know what to do. i can get them to roll up i just mess my hands up pretty bad. LOL
If you have time time its best to chill overnight have you the cocoa or nuts etc ready to put the balls on.If you are like me you might have hot hands some peoples hands are cold and some have hot hands which makes it hard to pipe icing etc as everything starts to melt as soon as you try to work with it.It helps to run cold water over your hands and dry them before making them it helps.If you dont want the mess on you hands use some of those throw away disposable gloves like they use in restaurants.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

i chilled it over night and now its out gettin ready to be made. they taste pretty good. really rich. i mixed equal parts coca and powdered suger together to roll them in. plain cocao makes it to biotter so i have to sweeten them. maybe i will crush some peanuts to roll them in also
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Head Chef

ok im back. i made some ganache last night but i think this time i did something i was not supposed to. It has been in the fridge for over 8 hours and it has not hardened. its in the stage of almost hardened but soft enough to scoop out with my finger. its almost like the filling in trifles not truffles. its not super soft but not hardened. my fist batch i made back in december hardened up pretty good. i hope it will still work. i decided to let it saty in the fridge for another 10 hours tell i get fome from work and a movie. i followed the recipe pretty much the same way as last time except i used milk chocolate rather than 55% semi sweet. all i did was take 12 oz raspberries and cook them in a pan for about 25 minutes with 3 Tbls of sugar. i did this to reduce them. then i added 7 oz cream and broiught to a simmer. poured it over the milk chocolate chips in a double boiler and mixed it all up with 3 oz butter. thats the only difference was the chocolate chips, rather than chocolate squares. I sure hope i can roll them up and form them into there shape. i hope it will hold up. they are for a birthday party and i have to bring them along with a cheese cake. any ideas would help out.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

I imagine with the chocolate substitution it is not going to harden up as you want. You may be able to temper is so the chocolate will set up..
Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Yeah it reminds me of fudge. Its pretty much the same thickness. Tastes dang good though.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

You may try adding more milk chocolate. Try 2 or 3 oz. more milk choc. When using milk chocolate instead of semi sweet you need to reduce the cream or add more milk choc.

Tags
None