ISO Icing for Gingerbread Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Mozart - I found some recipes using egg whites too but I really didn't want to consume the raw egg product - I haven't seen the meringue powder though so that might do the trick!

Thanks Mozart - I found some recipes using egg whites too but I really didn't want to consume the raw egg product - I haven't seen the meringue powder though so that might do the trick!

Ok. This is what I use. It is more of a frosting although it does crust over.

2 C confectioners sugar
1T melted butter
3-4 T heavy cream
1t Vanilla

Beat until smooth and glossy.

I was just about to post a thread asking for icing recipes for gingerbread. Glad I searched! Thanks, Mozart, and thanks to Michelemarie as well for saving me the trouble of asking on my own.

We made the cookies yesterday - the icing is FANTASTIC! It is definitely a keeper! Thanks Mozart! Good luck CherryRed!

You are welcome, Michelemarie.

This may be a midwestern thing, but there is a difference between icing, which is what you often see on store bought cookies and frosting.

The biggest difference is the icing is much thinner and hardens on the cookie to a smooth shiny gloss. Frosting is thicker and, depending on the type, may crust over, but stays soft underneath.

I know, I know....too much information:ROFLMAO:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Did you use a piping bag or baggy with a hole to ice the cookies?

I was thinking of pulling a Sandra Lee and getting some storebought tubes of icing for my gingerbread cookies.

I have SUCH a jones for gingerbread this year!

I'm at least going to make this Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread Recipe at Epicurious.com which was mentioned in a post by BluePlate. THanks, BP!

Lee

I used to use storebought icing, but lately it's been really frustrating. The icing is too solid to squeeze out nicely, so I end up cutting the bottom of the tube off, taking out the icing, adding some milk, putting it back into the tube to squeeze out, and getting it all over my hands in the process. I finally picked up a cheapish piping bag with a few good tips and it's made everything a lot easier. Except, of course, now I want more and more tips. . . decorating is addicting!

Okay, Cherry, how about a piping bag with a can store-bough frosting to put in it?

Lee

That should work just fine. Although, cans of frosting are usually too soft to pipe cleanly and they take a while to harden up once you've applied them. I would probably add a bit of confectioner's sugar to make it stiff enough to control. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just have fun with it!

Did you use a piping bag or baggy with a hole to ice the cookies?

I was thinking of pulling a Sandra Lee and getting some storebought tubes of icing for my gingerbread cookies.

I have SUCH a jones for gingerbread this year!

I'm at least going to make this Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread Recipe at Epicurious.com which was mentioned in a post by BluePlate. THanks, BP!

Lee

We started with a bag with a hole in it and decided to just use a small butter knife and frost the whole cookie - we are frosting freaks here. We made gingerbread men, trees, stars and circles - they are delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom