ISO Maraschino Popcorn Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

Not sure if this quite classifies as a candy question but...

Two threads on the boards about popcorn right now have jogged my memory and reminded me or a sweet popcorn treat that I haven't had in years, decades is more like it.

When I was a little girl I remember a neat popcorn treat that was sold at my schools bake sales and on the table at some birthday parties.

If memory serves me right they were pink, sticky-sweet balls of popcorn with bits of red maraschino cherries in them. Soooo sweet, but so good (well as a kid we thought so - lol). I'm sorry, I can't recall a name. Has anyone heard of these? :)

Hello ICadvisor I found this recipe for you on foodnetwork.com, hope it helps.

Popcorn Balls
(Recipe makes about 12)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for buttered hands
1 10-ounce bag miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
3 quarts popped corn
1 cup Maraschino Cherries(optional)

1. Melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and brown sugar; stir until melted, and remove from heat.

2. Pour popcorn and maraschino cherries into pot; toss well. With buttered hands, shape into 2-1/2" balls. Set on parchment-lined baking sheet to dry slightly.

3. May be decorated if desired.

Hi Marishka_20,
I really appreciate that - thanks! :)

I'll have to make it, perhaps a bit closer to Halloween and see it it's the one I have in my mind. Thanks again.

Here is a popcorn ball recipe for Christmas.

POPCORN SNOWMAN

You will need:

• 9 cups popcorn popped (1 1/3 cups unpopped)
  • 4 cups white mini marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • Toppings- gumdrops, cinnamon candies, fruit leather, pretzel sticks, jelly beans
Instructions:

1. 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
  1. 2. Add marshmallows, stirring often, until melted about 5 minutes.
  1. 3. Place popped popcorn in a large lightly greased shallow pan.
  1. 4. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn, tossing to coat evenly.
  1. 5. While still warm, form 6 balls about 5" in diameter for the coated popcorn for the bottom sections, giving the balls flat bases to allow snowmen to stand.
  1. 6. Form 6 balls about 3-1/2" in diameter for the middle sections.
  1. 7. Then form 6 balls about 2' in diameter for the top sections.
  1. 8. Stir the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Use the icing to stack three popcorn balls of decreasing sizes into a snowman.
  1. 9. Attach candies to decorate. Use fruit leather for the scarf, gumdrops for nose, jelly beans for eyes, cinnamon candies for mouth. You can substitute other kinds of candies. Makes 6 snowmen.

popcornsnowman.gif
found the recipe at www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/kidkitchenchristmas.htm#popcorn

That's adorable!

I think those are so cute! I wonder if you could us rise krispies instead of popcorn? Either way I will have to make some "Frosties" to decorate the lawn of my gingerbread house, or as a Christmas Eve treat - thanks Marishka, good find :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom