ISO Nougat Help - nougat too soft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confectionbaker

Assistant Cook
:( I have made Torrone for a while and seem to of lost the ability to have it be firm.
I have made it perfectly here in Tampa Florida at sea level But I am lately unable to have it firm up.
I cook sugar honey mix to 318 as specified in the recipe. Beat egg white to soft peaks, add confection sugar and continue to beat to firm with whisk in Kitchen 5 qt mixer, then slowly pour syrup that has been allowed to cool to 300 per recipe into whites and they expand. I wait for settlement and complete addition and beat till light and stable. Nougat is light and white and delishous as it should be...but it never firms up upon cooling.
Recipe is basic:
3 egg whites
1/2 c confection sugar
3 c granulated sugar
1 c honey

I would like to understand just what is the ingredient or what is an ingredient or what is the step that controls the firmness?

I am wondering if the relative humidity could be my point of interest?

Please do respond if you have this knowledge.

I also live near Tampa. I have found that the weather, specifically the humidity, has EVERYTHING to do with candy making. Forget trying to make candy or fudge during rainy season (June-November).

According to Joy of Cooking, you're supposed to "pick a dry day." Great, right?

I myself have been having less than stellar luck w/ the same basic recipe for torrone. I attempt it at least once a year around Christmas time and it usually turns out too goopy. However, this year, I tried cooking it to about 320, turned off the heat and let it go up to 325, then let it cool to 300 and followed the same practice you stated above. The first two days, it was still kind of soft at room temp, but I took out a piece today and it seems to have ripened to a lovely, airy but firm texture. Woot. Now, I live in San Francisco and we have probably considerably less humidity but...maybe cooking a bit longer would help you get the firm quality you're looking for.

My problem now is that I like the texture of this recipe, but it's SO sweet, I can't possibly give it away like this...going to try the ItalianMade recipe this weekend and hope that's less sweet...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom