Jaggery Goor : help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Can anybody help me?!

I have a 500 gr packet of jaggery goor and no ideas as to what to do with it. I want to use it though. I am clearing out my cupboards and what I don't use will have to be thrown.

All ideas welcome.

Lulu, jaggery ( I dont know about the goor part!!) is palm sugar which I use all the time in Thai dishes.

My Thai Beef Salad uses it with mint, coriander leaves, chilli, fish sauce, lime juice etc. It goes in many Thai curries and sauces.
Just google palm sugar and use the jaggery as suggested for that.:chef:

Lynan said:
Lulu, jaggery ( I dont know about the goor part!!) is palm sugar which I use all the time in Thai dishes.

My Thai Beef Salad uses it with mint, coriander leaves, chilli, fish sauce, lime juice etc. It goes in many Thai curries and sauces.
Just google palm sugar and use the jaggery as suggested for that.:chef:

Melt a little of your jaggery in some hot water. Allow to cool, add a little to a glass full of ice, plus the juice of a fresh lime/lemon, adjust for sweetness by adding more or less jaggery syrup. Here it's called " Papelón con Limón " and is one of the most refreshing drinks I know. Ours, by the way, is raw cane sugar - same thing, different background!

If you can find some green pawpaw fruit, I'll give you another yummy recipe.
You can also melt some in hot water, add a hefty dose of rum and orange juice, and use it to roast a leg of pork.

Soak pineapple skins in water for a day, adding a hefty lump of jaggery. Then boil for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, strain the juice. "Guarapo de Piña" - a jolly good pineapple drink too.

Grate a little ( about 1 tbsp) and mix with 2 tbsps freshly grated coconut, 2 tbsps tamarind ( or lemon) juice, 1 tsp fresh ground chili pepper, 50 gms finely chopped fried onion, a tsp of sesame seeds, a pinch of cumin, salt and pepper. Use this mixture to stuff baby aubergines. Fit the aubergines tightly into a pot and drizzle water over them, then close the lid on tight and cook gently for 20 - 25 minutes. Check at about 5 minute intervals to ensure the water has not evaporated.

Clive, all these seem wonderful! Yes, Lynan mine is palm sugar. It looks a bit like fudge and has a molasses -y taste. It was one of those "oooh, look at that" purchases that I could not resist but had not researched.

Hm, roast pork sounds good for tomorrow.....

Cliveb has the right idea. I am not sure that you can use all of the Jaggery Goor but what you don't use you can always throw out.

I've got my jaggery pork in the oven for todays lunch, i'll let you know how it turns out, it smells wonderful!

Well, the pork was really, really really good. The scent of sweet, boozy orange filled the kitchen, the pork looked good and tasted lovely. So simple and a nice change from my usual apple with roast pork. I highly recommend it!

I will be giving that pork a try too! Thanks Clive, and Lulu for doing a TNT.:)

I think this thread probably needs to be moved??:chef:

In Singapore and Malaysia, it is known as Gula Melaka or palm sugar. It is used mainly in desserts with or without coconut milk. If you are adventurous, you can boil sweet potato chunks and sweeten with 'jaggery goor' and some coconut milk. Yum!!

In Singapore and Malaysia, it is known as Gula Melaka or palm sugar. It is used mainly in desserts with or without coconut milk. If you are adventurous, you can boil sweet potato chunks and sweeten with 'jaggery goor' and some coconut milk. Yum!!

Back
Top Bottom