Lindt 85% Cacao chocolate bar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I saw some at Wally World the other day. Each bar is 3.5 oz, and costs US$2.+ Unfortunately, I have to wait until Friday to get one to sample!

Well, for me anyway, it's a matter of how much cocoa solids are in the bar. The more solids, the more flavor. Think of it like Guiness Stout vs. Bud Light.

I have tried the 85% cacoa bar. My sister absolutely hated, but if you really like dark chocolate, you'll absolutely love this bar. Very strong, very, very strong.

The wife loved it but she likes dark chocolate. I didn't like it so much, but then I don't like dark chocolate either.
I thought it was too strong.

Ok, I bought one and tried it.

I like dark chocolate. I really do. But, this was a little to much, in my book. It reminded me more of baking chocolate than something I'd like to eat out of hand.

Ok, I bought one and tried it.

I like dark chocolate. I really do. But, this was a little to much, in my book. It reminded me more of baking chocolate than something I'd like to eat out of hand.

I agree with that. It's like I had drink something really sweet to offset it

Seems like overkill to me. Why not just use unsweetened?
The two are not even close to the same. I love dark chocolate and love 85%

I recently tried a Lindt 99% bar. I went to buy it (curiosity got the better of me) and the woman behind the counter asked if I had ever tried it. When I said no she pulled out a sample for me to taste. She told me I better try it before I buy it because it tasted like dirt. While I did not think it tasted like dirt I did think it tasted like bitter unsweetened chocolate. I was very happy she had me taste it first. She then gave me a bit of a piece of milk chocolate to chase the 99% otherwise that would have stayed with me for a while.

Rather than eating chocolate, I believe those bars are best used in baking or candymaking. In fact, I would imagine that is what they are really made for. Something really sweet can be offset nicely by bittersweet chocolate.

I am going to have to rewrite my favorite truffle recipe to share so you all can see what I am talking about.

Rather than eating chocolate, I believe those bars are best used in baking or candymaking. In fact, I would imagine that is what they are really made for.
i am going to have to strongly disagree. I find 85% chocolate to be wonderful eating chocolate. For those who are not used to it then it can be an unpleasant experience, but for those who are used to it then it is amazing stuff to just pop a square in your mouth.

i am going to have to strongly disagree. I find 85% chocolate to be wonderful eating chocolate. For those who are not used to it then it can be an unpleasant experience, but for those who are used to it then it is amazing stuff to just pop a square in your mouth.
I'm with you GB. I think many who consider themselves chocoholics are really sugarholics.

Back
Top Bottom