Lollipops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandifb

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I am new to this,

I am trying to make some hard candy lollipops for a baby shower. I only have 1 mold that I will be using, can anyone tell me how to make a very small batch or can I reheat the mixture after my first mold has become hard?

How much color and flavor oil do I use?

Thanks everyone:chef:

Welcome!

I've not made lollipops, but I make hard rock candy at Christmas. If that is the type of candy you are going to make, I don't think there is a way to re-heat the candy to pour. If you are making chocolate lollipops....then re-heating/re-melting would probably work.

I also make hard candy (and lollipops) at Christmas. You might try to do 1/4 of your recipe, but I've never tried. Be sure to use a candy thermometer. I am pretty sure you won't be able to reheat the syrup.

When I make a full batch of candy, I use a small full bottle of the fruit-flavored Lorainne (sp?) oils and I use a half bottle for the mints.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

It sounds as if it might be worth it to just get some more molds if you can so you can do a whole batch of syrup. I've never done hard candy so I don't really have any other advice. If you can't afford to purchase more, maybe there is someone you can borrow from.

Thanks for all of the help. I do have another question, what can I use to get the excess chocolate off of my candy when I take it out the molds?

I have never heard of excess chocolate! This is a wonderful problem. I am not sure what type of mold you are using but the ones that I use are flat and once they are full I just tap them to remove air bubbles and scrape across the top of the mold with a spatula to smooth the surface of what will become the bottom of the piece of candy. The chocolate is still liquid at this point and smooths out quite nicely.

You can make lollipops without molds but of course they will be somewhat freeform. Just pour the candy by the teaspoon onto a silpat , maybe 6 per tray. Push a stick immediately into the puddle of candy and wait for them to cool. So if you have extra candy from a batch that is too big for your molds you do have this option. Also you can just pour the excess candy completely onto the silpat and when it cools break it apart for hard candy.

My aunt LaMae used to make this:

2 c sugar
1/2 c light corn syrup
2/3 c water
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp red food colouring

1. Combine everything in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
2. Let the mixture cook, without stirrinng, over low heat until it reaches the hard crack stage.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Add 1 tsp of flavouring--we've always used anise oil.

6. Pour into greased pan (shalllow). Cut across it as it cools. We always put the pan outside on the snow...

My aunt LaMae is 90 years old and she still makes this candy for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom