"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Master Chef

Looking for candy making experts

Just to challenge myself, I have decided to make the perfect filled chocolates. My first will be silk/creamy caramel filled milk chocolates, with the caramel consistency allowing it to gently flow at room temperature. The 2nd will be a butter-cream chocolate filling, similar to that found in Lindor-Lindt truffles.

To that end, I made the two fillings. I nailed the caramel by combining 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup water, 1/4 tsp. salt, 2 tbs. light corn syrup, 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract, and a drop of hazelnut flavoring. I brought this to a low boil and whisked continuously to a temperature of 235' F. I then poured it into a bowl and let it cool to room temp. Though the flavor is different, it had the consistancy of the caramel in a Cadbury Caramello.

For the chocolate, I hypothisized that combining a 12.5 oz. Lindt milk chocolate bar with 1/2 cup of butter would combine the butterfat, and cocoa butter to form a creamy filling. Unfortunately, I used salted butter. It changed the flavor enough that I had to add 8 tbs. of powdered sugar to get the flavor somewhat back on track. Also, before adding the powdered sugar, the cooling chocolate was very grainy. I added 1 tbs. of water (oh, don't add water; it will sieze the chocolate!). Where the water first comes into contact with the chocolate, it cools rapidly, causing that little place to solidify. Keep cooking for a few minutes over heat and it will re-melt. The water dissolved the sugar grains that had formed, and made the chocolate silky smooth. But then, because of the added powdered sugar that I whisked in, the chocolate flavor was diluted. I added 2 tbs. cocoa powder, which made it taste good again, but more like fudge than milk chocolate. And the texture isn't What I want. It's turned my wonderful Lindt chocolate bar into a very yummy ice cream sauce. I'm not thinking that it would work in a filled chocolate.

If anyone knows how to make the sublime chocolate center like in the Lindt truffles, please share whatcha know. I'm even saying - pretty-pleeeease.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Master Chef

I'm not an expert on making chocolates, but I did start eating them at a very early age and have continued to do so for over a half century!

I would use a chocolate ganache/truffle recipe, shape it and refrigerate it prior to coating it with the milk chocolate.

I would also check the web for articles, recipes and videos by Jacques Torres.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm not an expert on making chocolates, but I did start eating them at a very early age and have continued to do so for over a half century!

I would use a chocolate ganache/truffle recipe, shape it and refrigerate it prior to coating it with the milk chocolate.

I would also check the web for articles, recipes and videos by Jacques Torres.Good luck!
Sound advice Aunt Bea.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, find a chocolate truffle recipe.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

and for the ones that don't work, it is the law to ship them to this address:-

Dragnlaw, c/o the disposal gut, Montreal, Canada.

It is a humane dumping ground that prevents contamination in the surrounding states and provinces.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Smile Re-melting chocolate

Hi candy experts

Are there any wise precautions to take when re-melting chocolate? Particularly white chocolate?

Ta
Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Hi candy experts

Are there any wise precautions to take when re-melting chocolate? Particularly white chocolate?

Ta
For the best white chocolate, make sure that the only fat in the product is cocoa butter. If you can find it, use coverture chocolate. Use a double boiler. Do not bring the water to a boil. The cocoa butter melts at about body temperature. Bring the chocolate up to about 90 to 95 degrees F., not hotter, as white chocolate scorches easily. Stir frequently, even continually as it melts.

If you want to temper it, slowly bring it up to 110', and then remove from the heat cool to about 82 degrees. You must agitate the chocolate to temper it. Add a little already tempered chocolate to the melted chocolate to"seed" it while its cooling. Finally, bring it back to 90' for dipping/coating, or pouring into chocolate molds.

If you have really good white chocolate, it will be creamy smooth, have that snap of good tempered chocolate, and be glossy when hardened.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Question Tempered chocolate on a cake?

My intention is to drizzle/ partially coat an orange cake with white chocolate. I'm not too sure what coverture chocolate is and I've got white Cadbury cooking chocolate to work with. The packet says creamy and smooth if that makes any difference.

(For argument's sake I'm assuming that I've got regular cooking chocolate) Have you ever used shortening when melting regular chocolate? Or needed to something to make it smooth and easy to spread?

The instructions were great Chief Longwind of the North. Is a special thermometer required or will a regular cooking one be fine?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

Kirsten,

Have you considered making a "Pourable White Chocolate Ganache" several different recipes can be found by doing a quick google search. I have provided links to two of them.

Good luck!

Pointed pinkies only, please | Flourish - King Arthur Flour's blog

The Cookbook Challenge: Week 1 Recipe – Lemon white chocolate mud cake with coconut white chocolate ganache
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Substitute for coconut cream

My mouth waters just looking at those pictures.

Would you happen to know a substitute for coconut cream?

I've looked up recipes to make it but I'm too inexperienced to trust myself to do it right on my mother's 50th birthday cake, especially as what would be my first go making the cream too.

Tags
candy, other