LP's Mom's Easy Fudge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I pulled out this recipe for Kades and thought I would post it in case anyone else is interested in a TNT no fail fudge recipe.

This is a fudge I grew up on. It is fast, easy and stays firm. I have tried both butterscotch and vanilla (not instant) puddings. I have left the raisins and nuts out, used all nuts, changed it up with candied cherries, cranberries, whatever you want.

Easy Fudge
1 package Jell-O Chocolate pudding mix (not instant)
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup raisins

Combine pudding, margarine and milk. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in sugar, blending well. Add nuts and raisins and pour into a greased 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 (loaf) pan. Cool and when set cut into squares.

I pulled out this recipe for Kades and thought I would post it in case anyone else is interested in a TNT no fail fudge recipe.

This is a fudge I grew up on. It is fast, easy and stays firm. I have tried both butterscotch and vanilla (not instant) puddings. I have left the raisins and nuts out, used all nuts, changed it up with candied cherries, cranberries, whatever you want.

Easy Fudge
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup raisins

Combine pudding, margarine and milk. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in sugar, blending well. Add nuts and raisins and pour into a greased 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 (loaf) pan. Cool and when set cut into squares.

To clarify...Laurie, is icing sugar the same as powdered/confectioner's sugar?

I just checked the pantry! I DO have a box of cook & serve chocolate pudding!!! I'm making fudge tonight! Thanks so much!

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I don't like some of the ingredients in Jello pudding. I wonder if it could be done with homemade, cornstarch pudding. At some point in the not-to-distant future, I will be experimenting. I told Stirling not to let me experiment today. I have far too much to do to get ready for two dinner parties.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I don't like some of the ingredients in Jello pudding. I wonder if it could be done with homemade, cornstarch pudding. At some point in the not-to-distant future, I will be experimenting. I told Stirling not to let me experiment today. I have far too much to do to get ready for two dinner parties.
This recipe is probably as old as I am and probably came from Jello itself. I don't use pudding mixes myself anymore, but if I make this fudge I do. I am not sure what homemade pudding would be like in comparison but would be very interested in the results of your experimenting. If it works I will try it myself....when I am back to eating/working with sugar, etc.

Personally I think the ingredients in the pudding are a little better than marshmallow fluff or sweetened condensed milk ;). But that is just my (tongue firmly in cheek :LOL:) opinion.

Last edited:
This recipe is probably as old as I am and probably came from Jello itself. I don't use pudding mixes myself anymore, but if I make this fudge I do. I am not sure what homemade pudding would be like in comparison but would be very interested in the results of your experimenting. If it works I will try it myself....when I am back to eating/working with sugar, etc.

Personally I think the ingredients in the pudding are a little better than marshmallow fluff or sweetened condensed milk ;). But that is just my (tongue firmly in cheek :LOL:) opinion.
I don't use marshmallow fluff and I can't remember the last time I bought a marshmallow. I'm not sure what is in sweetened condensed milk, but if it's all food I would use it. I never think to buy it.

It's stuff like polysorbate 60 and artificial flavours that I don't want. I don't mind the sugar and fat when I'm having a sweet goodie. :ermm: :LOL:

Do you think that you could sub unsalted butter for margarine?

Do you think that you could sub unsalted butter for margarine?

Actually, Pac, I think that is what I used last time I made it a couple of years ago for my Dad. I don't bake with margarine and I just typed the recipe as it was without thinking. If anything, it would make it set a little harder than margarine.

I don't use marshmallow fluff and I can't remember the last time I bought a marshmallow. I'm not sure what is in sweetened condensed milk, but if it's all food I would use it. I never think to buy it.

It's stuff like polysorbate 60 and artificial flavours that I don't want. I don't mind the sugar and fat when I'm having a sweet goodie. :ermm: :LOL:

Eagle Brand SCM has concentrated whole milk and sugar, the fat-free version has vitamin A palmitate to replace the fat. That's it.

Eagle Brand SCM has concentrated whole milk and sugar, the fat-free version has vitamin A palmitate to replace the fat. That's it.
Good to know. I always thought it would have a bunch of chemicals in it for some reason. But I guess my distaste for the stuff is just that it is so sickeningly sweet. Thanks, Dawg! :)

Good to know. I always thought it would have a bunch of chemicals in it for some reason. But I guess my distaste for the stuff is just that it is so sickeningly sweet. Thanks, Dawg! :)

Tell me about it! I used a can of that stuff in Goodweed's potato soup recipe before because he listed the wrong ingredient :wacko:
Yuk.

Tell me about it! I used a can of that stuff in Goodweed's potato soup recipe before because he listed the wrong ingredient :wacko:
Yuk.
Oh Stop that I love the stuff and could just eat it right from the can:LOL::ROFLMAO:
kades

Easy Fudge
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup raisins

Than you Laurie, the boys will love this and I'm sure Cade's other g-ma will like it too. Ethan has an aunt he wants to give some to. So all round they will be happy campers. Thanks again my girl.
ma

Back
Top Bottom