"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making Flavored Oils?

Hello ...

I'm new to the forum, and have also just started to delve into the world of candy making. Some of the things I would like to make are actually more savory-based candies than sweet, so all of the online retailers I've found that carry flavored oils don't really have what I'm looking for.

Can you make flavor oils on your own? If so, how does the process work (or where can one go to learn)?

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Jaime

Old 12-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Welcome to the nicest food site on the web!

if you could give us a bit more info on the type of oil flavors you are attempting to create, then we can give you some directions on what to do or where to go to find them.

P Top

Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Cook

You can find a decent primer here: Herb or Spice Infused Oil Recipe
Old 12-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! Yes, you can make flavored oils. You can also infuse vinegar and vodka/sherry, etc.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Master Chef

Homemade flavored oils can harbor Botulism.

If they are flavored with anything fresh like herbs or garlic they need to be kept in the fridge and used or thrown out within 10-14 days.

They dont make good gifts because of that.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themather View Post
Hello ...

I'm new to the forum, and have also just started to delve into the world of candy making. Some of the things I would like to make are actually more savory-based candies than sweet, so all of the online retailers I've found that carry flavored oils don't really have what I'm looking for.

Can you make flavor oils on your own? If so, how does the process work (or where can one go to learn)?

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Jaime
If you are talking about things like oil of peppermint, orange oil, etc, those are quiet different from flavored oils. Those are actually more like extracts or essences and I believe they are made from a distillation process.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Following up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
Welcome to the nicest food site on the web!

if you could give us a bit more info on the type of oil flavors you are attempting to create, then we can give you some directions on what to do or where to go to find them.

P Top
As ridiculous as it sounds, some of the savory ideas I want to try would be meat-based. So I guess that would add an extra layer to my needs. Things like steak, ham, etc. (Sounds crazy I know, but there's a master plan for all of it.)

I guess another possibility would be some simple molecular gastronomy? For example, I do know you can add tapioca maltodextrin to a liquid to turn it into a powder, allowing you to take things like beef drippings and have them transformed into a powder form. I don't have any experience using powder-based flavorings in candies. I imagine it may affect it from a consistency standpoint? I know there are other additives that can change properties to things like gels or pastes, so I guess that could be an option as well.

The candies would need to have at least some small amount of a shelf life, so the infused oils would almost certainly be out because of spoiling concerns.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Homemade flavored oils can harbor Botulism.

If they are flavored with anything fresh like herbs or garlic they need to be kept in the fridge and used or thrown out within 10-14 days.

They dont make good gifts because of that.
So true. The only way to get a longer shelf life is to add some vinegar to the oil. But it still is an iffy idea.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by themather View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, some of the savory ideas I want to try would be meat-based. So I guess that would add an extra layer to my needs. Things like steak, ham, etc. (Sounds crazy I know, but there's a master plan for all of it.)

I guess another possibility would be some simple molecular gastronomy? For example, I do know you can add tapioca maltodextrin to a liquid to turn it into a powder, allowing you to take things like beef drippings and have them transformed into a powder form. I don't have any experience using powder-based flavorings in candies. I imagine it may affect it from a consistency standpoint? I know there are other additives that can change properties to things like gels or pastes, so I guess that could be an option as well.

The candies would need to have at least some small amount of a shelf life, so the infused oils would almost certainly be out because of spoiling concerns.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I guess I'm confused by what your trying to do, you want to make meat flavored candies? While this is an odd combination in my eyes it has been done {as far as I know} but the end results that I have seen are more of a truffle style of candy.

Thinking about it, try looking at authentic mole sauces they are savory but some also have the addition of unsweetened chocolate in them. However, mole to Spain, Mexico or other Latin American areas are as diverse as chili is in the USA.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

hello i just wanted to add tapioca maltodextrin how ever thats spelled, will only turn fats into a powder not like the drippings from meat unless you seperate the fats. I have done a good amound of molecular gastronomy like spheres and gels and tapioca malto and stuff. meat flavored oil..... hmm not sure but sounds fun.

Tags
other