"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I love Fudge and have been making the same version for years - it's the hershey cocoa recipe. It uses regular milk and with some practice it is the best fudge around.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...s.aspx?id=5303

While a candy thermometer is a good tool to use, you can learn to use the ice water test method (soft ball stage). I did it this way for years with good results.
I just printed out that recipe. It looks like a good one, especially using cocoa.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just printed out that recipe. It looks like a good one, especially using cocoa.
Practice a few times... fudge can be finicky. I think that's why there are so many faux fudge recipes out there. Fudge was never intended to have powdered sugar, marshmallows or condensed milk added, imo. They are substitutes for good technique. On the bright side, even the not quite perfect batches will be awesome :)

Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Practice a few times... fudge can be finicky. I think that's why there are so many faux fudge recipes out there. Fudge was never intended to have powdered sugar, marshmallows or condensed milk added, imo. They are substitutes for good technique. On the bright side, even the not quite perfect batches will be awesome :)
The real ingredients are big part of what I like about that recipe. I can't count the number of times I could only find recipes with marshmallow cream, sweetened condensed milk, or corn syrup. I don't usually have any of those on hand.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #14

Site Administrator

It's worth reading the comments on that recipe... it's an old recipe and one important note that should be IN the recipe is that you really should use full fat milk (or add some half and half to your low fat milk).
Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Easy, can't fail fudge that is absolutely yummy - See’S Candy Fudge Recipe from See’s

I make other kinds of fudge, from scratch. But this is the most foolproof fudge that I make. And it's a very tasty fudge. What more can you ask of a fudge recipe?

I also make a butterscotch fudge (home-made butterscotch is sooooo good), and a maple-nut fudge using real maple syrup (number two grade, dark).

If you make German Chocolate cake frosting, and omit the canned milk, spread it out in a suitable rectangular pan, it made a very interesting fudge, with that famous icing flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Hershey's! I have always said if you want the best, go to the experts. And Hershey is my expert for chocolate. It is why their Chocolate Chocolaty Cake is such a favorite.

I make my fudge in a double boiler. But I do put more water in the bottom that usually. I have never had it burned on the bottom. It does take me a bit longer to make it, but so worth the extra time. I use their extra dark cocoa. It makes a big difference in the taste of chocolate. And cuts down on the sweetness of the fudge.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
... my mother always used "See's Fudge" recipe.
Lol, my mother SWORE hers was the real See's. I am a dismal failure at making fudge that needs a candy thermometer. This may not be See's, but we like it because it's not too sweet and always creamy. And easy...I'm lazy.

Supposedly See's Fudge

1 c butter (2 cubes)
2 c chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/2 c egg substitute*
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 c chopped nuts -- optional

1. Melt butter and chocolate chips. stir until smooth.
2. Mix egg substitute* , powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Combine both mixtures (and nuts if used) and pour into a buttered 13"x9" pan.
4. Refrigerate to set.

*Original recipe called for two eggs, but for food safety's sake, use pasteurized egg substitute.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #18

Site Administrator

All this fudge talk got me inspired last night. Pass the milk - we have fudge!

Click image for larger version

Name:	fudge_2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	21688
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I love Fudge and have been making the same version for years - it's the hershey cocoa recipe. It uses regular milk and with some practice it is the best fudge around.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...s.aspx?id=5303

While a candy thermometer is a good tool to use, you can learn to use the ice water test method (soft ball stage). I did it this way for years with good results.
Oh, man, that looks amazing! Looks just like the fudge my mother made when I was growing up in Michigan. In the winter, she put the pan in the garage to cool
Old 08-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
All this fudge talk got me inspired last night. Pass the milk - we have fudge!

Attachment 21688
It looks smooth and yummy. Sadly, unless I'm making something other than See's fudge, DW pitches a fit, and so if I want to make another flavor, or different recipe, I have to also make a batch of See's fudge. That's just the way it is with many of my recipes. It's frustrating sometimes. Good thing the See's recipe makes good fudge. I'd just like to make it without the marshmallow, to test my skills if for no other reason.

I have maple syrup. I should get creative tonight. What about a maple/habenero fudge, with pecans? Or maybe a homemade butterscotch with crispy bacon bits? Sounds good, right? Hmmmm.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caster sugar, clotted cream, fudge, golden syrup, other, vanilla essence