Making taffy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vivster

Assistant Cook
My husband and I would like to include making taffy in our Christmas traditions, but I'm looking for some help with that. We tried last year and the result wasn't what we wanted: we ended up with hard candy. I've got a lot of baking experience, but pretty much none with candy making. We tried two different recipes and followed them exactly, but both came out far too hard. My best guess is that it's cooking to too high of a temp, but all the recipes I've found have directions to boil the mix (water, sugar, corn syrup and some butter) anywhere from 250-265 degrees. What am I doing wrong? We really want that soft, chewy taffy, not hard candy.

I know nothing about taffy making except that my grandparents made it every year. It was the best. However, it was always hard at room temp. You'd have to let it get warm in your mouth for a while before you could chew it. It was never soft like the saltwater taffy we'd get at the beach. We liked Grandma's so much better even though it was hard.

Thanks for the links! We'll try the recipes in the next few weeks, and I'll note back how they turned out. I'm looking forward to some good, soft taffy!

Back
Top Bottom