Marshmallow Creme Fudge question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thunderfox

Assistant Cook
Okay, so I'm doing the recipe on the back of a jar of marshmallow creme...

(posted below for reference)

Here's my question:

After doing all kinds of research on the 'net to find out how to keep any fudge from going grainy (and having a really unfortunate experience with the thermometer method)... I seem to be experiencing *conflicting* instructions.

The recipe below calls for "stirring constantly" while boiling the sugar/butter/milk mixture.

Everything else I've read on the 'net suggests that you don't stir at ALL until the mixture reaches the right temperature/stage.

My experience has been that it will scorch if you don't stir it... but I totally get the fact that stirring is going to inspire crystals to form too... arggh!

What IS the best way to manage this recipe?

Is it still advised to let the butter/sugar/milk mixture cool undisturbed before adding the chocolate and marshmallow...then stir it smooth??

Help! :)

3 cups sugar

3/4 cup margarine

1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk

1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme

1 cup chopped nuts

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234° F., stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.

Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.
Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares. Makes 3 pounds.

For what it's worth, my mom makes that recipe every year for Christmas. And I have very vivid memories of her beating the living daylights out of it! It's always turned out very well. The only time it goes grainy is if it sits for too many days.

I'm with you in general, though, with other recipes and wouldn't usually beat candy at that stage. It seems to work with this one, though.

Yes, beat the heck out of it. I enjoy it but I don't think it should have 'fudge' in the name. It's great but it's not Fudge (to me anyway).

Last edited:
Okay...so the "stirring constantly" thing is a go... it makes sense, considering what has happened when i *wasn't* so attentive...:rolleyes:

But I'm still puzzled about the second part:

Should I let the sugar/butter/milk cool before adding the chocolate/marshmallow (and thus holding off on some pretty vigorous stirring to combine)...???

thunderfox said:
Should I let the sugar/butter/milk cool before adding the chocolate/marshmallow (and thus holding off on some pretty vigorous stirring to combine)...???

I never have waited.

Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.

Beat until your arm is tired but make sure you can still spread it in the pan. Lol, this recipe is almost fool proof. It always tastes wonderful.

Well, I've had pretty good luck with this recipe in the past - works well 90% of the time (and the other 10% could easily be attributed to weather, experimentation, etc.)

I guess that after my terrible mishap last night, and my subsequent research, I've gotten more confused than I ever have been, about something that always seemed to go right *before*.

I'm blaming it all on the new thermometer...:angel:

Here is the recipe that I have used since I was a young girl helping my mom in the kitchen. The key to it is bringing the sugar mixture to a hard boil this helps dissolve the sugar. After adding the chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, and butter stir like mad. This is the hardest and longest part. it takes a major arm workout. I have never used a candy thermometer and this recipe turns out great everytime. Good luck!!:)

Fudge

4 ½ cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk
2 12 oz. packages chocolate chips
1 jar marshmallow cream
2 cubes butter
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Bring sugar and milk to hard boil and then continue to boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Take off flame. Add chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, and butter. Stir until glossy and then stir in walnuts. Pour out on a greased cookie sheet or 9x13 inch pan.

Hey Thunderfox,
Ok I have made fudge on the home level and on the professional level. In school, at home, and in the candy kitchen. In a pot and on a marble slab(just so you can trust the answer)....here's your answer....
---------------------------------
You want to stir the sugar mixture while it is boiling because it can burn(the milk in it usually). You want to bring it up to the desired temp(or for however many minutes) and then take off the heat....put in the last ingredients(peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla, other flavorings)....let the mixture cool to around 110-130 Degrees F(this could take a while)....then you stir....

What you do by letting it cool is your are going to develop SMALL crystals in the fudge...fudge HAS grain to it...that is what makes it fudge and not caramel...but we want to make the smallest grain possible...that is why we wait for the temp to come down...
---------------------------------
That is the science of it...now of course you will run into all diferent methods just as everyone has their own on here but as long as you know the science of it then you can pick and choose which methods will work....So check out all the procedures that people have put and just remember the science of it when you make it...

Merry Christmas,
Robert
Chocolate

Remember to wash down the sides of the pot as sugar gets up above the rest of the syrup...this can crystalize and then fall back into the syrup and grain the whole batch....just a heads up...

Robert
Chocolate

I need to substitute marshmallow cream for 2 cups of miniture marshmallows in chocolate fudge recipe. suedee

I have made this many times, no need to panic on it.
The only thing I had a problem was, I didn't use domimons sugar one year I used the store brand and it didn't set.

Put your butter, sugar, fluff and ev. milk in the pot, stir it up and keep stirring it making sure all is melting, then keep stirring it till it starts to boil. It will bubble lettting air out.

After it starts to boil - still stirring - It will get a few dark coloring in it here and there, after 5min remove and add nuts chips and vanilla and stir until it is all blended in and pour into butter pan. and let set

Remembering this stuff is very hot. Children and pets should not be in the area.

I have never Had it go grainy

Back
Top Bottom