Marshmallows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
MARSHMALLOWS

Yield: 1 Servings

2 c Sugar
1 ts Vanilla
2 tb Gelatin soaked in 1/2 cup -cold water
1/4 ts Salt
3/4 c Water

1. Mix sugar and 3/4 c water in heavy pan. Cook to soft ball stage, 238 degrees.
2. Remove from fire and add gelatin.
3. Pour in glass mixing bowl. Cool a little and then whip until thick and white. Add flavoring.
4. Mix 2 T powdered sugar and 2 T cornstarch and spread into a 9 inch square pan. Pour candy into the prepared pan, let stand. Cut into squares using a wet knife and give a final dust of powdered sugar.

Please add this to the marshmallow recipe to keep the marshmallows from being grainy.

When you start cooking the sugar and water, be sure to dissolve the sugar crystals before it begins boiling as is done with fudge. Either wipe down the sides of the pan with a watered brush or cover pan for a few minutes.

I once made a marshmallow cream by accident. I wasn't smart enough to write down what I did however. But if memory serves me right, I believe the ingredients included egg-white, vanilla, salt, simple syrup, and maybe a bit of corn syrup, and corn starch. I know that the marshmallow was originally made with a starchy plant that came from the marshes, hence the use of cornstarch to substitute.

Rainee; I am going to try your recipe and see what comes out. I'm a curious fellow and am always eager to try and observe. I'm also going to have to recreate that marshmallow cream I'd made a few years back.

I could sure use Audio right now, with her candy making expertise :mrgreen: .

Rainee, you have proven yourself time and again with your recipes. And now you've sparked my curiosity.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If anybody has a recipe for sugar free marshmallows, I sure would appreciate seeing it. I want to make marshmallow treats but without sugar.

Hey Icymist,

Try it with Splenda? I havent tried it yet, but Spenda advertises anything you do with Sugar you can do with Splenda!!! I use Splenda on everything. Lemme know if you try it and how it works! i know Spenda is measured just like granulated sugar. So maybe? Also i saw you were from Fla too. Im close to Ocala. Do you know where that is? I started calling you Icyhot!! Had to Edit it!!:LOL: Sowy, but i guess that could be a compliment hahahhah!

It's also fun to use good sharp cookie cutters for your marshmallows. (and gee, darn, you have to eat all the trimmings yourself!)

Heat said:
Try it with Splenda? I havent tried it yet, but Spenda advertises anything you do with Sugar you can do with Splenda!!! I use Splenda on everything. Lemme know if you try it and how it works! i know Spenda is measured just like granulated sugar. So maybe? Also i saw you were from Fla too. Im close to Ocala. Do you know where that is? I started calling you Icyhot!! Had to Edit it!!:LOL: Sowy, but i guess that could be a compliment hahahhah!

LOL Heat is okay. :) But if you saw me you wouldn't be calling me IcyHot. :) Of course I know where Ocala is. I live in Tampa and have for many many years. :) :)

By the way I don't think changing to splenda would do the trick. I have a feeling that with splenda you wouldn't get the same results. If any chefs have any ideas, please let us know.

Last edited:
Kewl Icymist, my mother and grandmother were both raised in Tampa! I actually live in Citrus County. I also would like to know the answer to your dilemma. But, im gonna try it with Splenda. When i get the rest of the ingred. i need for it! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom