"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
Senior Cook

What was your procedure for making the fudge? once you cooked it...what did you do to it after that?
You can do what Philso said but by adding granulated sugar you are not going to have as smooth of a fudge...but if it comes between having a bigger grained fudge and not one at all...might as well make the bigger grained fudge...

Robert
Chocolate

Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I came to this site looking for an answer to my
" fudge not set "question........and then it dawned on me....
MAKE TRUFFLES!!!!!!
just thought i would share the answer to my own question.
I will now call my rocky road fudge,my rocky road truffles

Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

RE: Fudge not setting

Yesterday i started to make some fudge for mothers day, my 1st batch was almost setting, but my second batch was not a liquid or solid, more like thick caramel. I rolled this batch into little balls (with cocoa powder) and they were flopping straight away out of their shape. But then I literally stuck them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, and they were hard enough to roll into firm balls and coat them in melted chocolate, Ive not tried them yet but they look really good. The first batch is now in the freezer...fingers crossed
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Fudge that didn't set

I have a family member that just made some fudge (a double batch) and it didn't set. I googled it and I can't believe how many people said to just toss it out. Of course these comments were made several years ago, before the financial collapse. I'm hoping people have gotten if only by necessity a little more conservative. My first thought was hey, make brownies. So that's what I did with the stuff. I reheated it, mixed in some flower and an egg and baked it till it was not sticky to my knife. It was great. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. (I prefer brownies anyhow)
Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
Head Chef

Had that one year and found it to be the sugar. Expensive year!!
The store had a sale on their store brand - I found that store brands use a fine sugar or it is beet sugar not cane.

IF you are going to spend the money to make fudge / candys use good ingredients.
Domininos sugar.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

You can easily salvage it. Scrape it back into the pan and add a splash of milk to stop it from sticking. Then, heat it up again and boil it like you did the first time round, this time until it is at the correct temperature or the soft ball stage. :)

Tags
None