My fudge has not set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robynhood

Assistant Cook
Is there any remedy for fudge that has not set? anything I can do or add to correct it from semi liquid to solid? :cool:

Did you use a candy thermometer?

I don't know how to remedy the situation but could it be melted down to make a very rich chocolate sauce?

sadly I relied on the time stated in the recipe and did not use a candy thermometer; that was probably a huge mistake; now I need to harden the runny fudge if it is at all possible

Here's the solution to your problem.

1. Go to grocery store
2. Purchase the most decadent vanilla ice cream in the freezer section and buy a candy thermometer
3. Bring ice cream home
4. Fill bowl with ice cream
5. Slather runny fudge over ice cream
6. Eat
7. Enjoy
8. Make more fudge using thermometer

Problem solved.:LOL:

Put it in the freezer..or eat it with a spoon..that is what I'd do. It wouldn't make it to the freezer..: :)

There's no salvaging it. Its a lovely chocolate sauce though. You don't need a candy thermometer, you can just use the cold water, soft ball test instead.

After you boil your fudge for a bit you drip some into some ice water and see if it is gooey, or if it holds together. If it holds then you are ready to go.

start it off in a double boiler or in a ss bowl over boiling water. when it gets as hot as it's going to, transfer to a pan over direct heat. keep stirring it so it doesn't scorch. bring it up to the soft ball stage. if you don't have a themometer, test in ice water or keep a saucer in the freezer and test a teaspoon or so. it should make a soft ball after it's cool. add a few tablespoons (or more) of sugar and stir. this should start it to granulate, but it's not always successful. if it does granulate, you've got fudge. if it doesn't seem to be granulating, add a couple of tablespoons of butter. you've got something like chocolate caramels or toffee. you can roll it into balls and dust with cocoa powder.
icon12.gif

I made my first uneatable fudge last Sunday at my annual candy day with my sisters. It was chocolate taffy. LOL
It wasn't until I was on my way home that I realized what I had done. I put the chocolate chips in with the milk, sugar and butter to boil to 234!! DUH!!!

I hope you were able to get another batch done.

What was your procedure for making the fudge? once you cooked it...what did you do to it after that?
You can do what Philso said but by adding granulated sugar you are not going to have as smooth of a fudge...but if it comes between having a bigger grained fudge and not one at all...might as well make the bigger grained fudge...

Robert
Chocolate

:ROFLMAO: I came to this site looking for an answer to my
" fudge not set "question........and then it dawned on me....
MAKE TRUFFLES!!!!!!
just thought i would share the answer to my own question.
I will now call my rocky road fudge,my rocky road truffles:ROFLMAO:

RE: Fudge not setting

Yesterday i started to make some fudge for mothers day, my 1st batch was almost setting, but my second batch was not a liquid or solid, more like thick caramel. I rolled this batch into little balls (with cocoa powder) and they were flopping straight away out of their shape. But then I literally stuck them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, and they were hard enough to roll into firm balls and coat them in melted chocolate, Ive not tried them yet but they look really good. The first batch is now in the freezer...fingers crossed :chef:

Fudge that didn't set

I have a family member that just made some fudge (a double batch) and it didn't set. I googled it and I can't believe how many people said to just toss it out. Of course these comments were made several years ago, before the financial collapse. I'm hoping people have gotten if only by necessity a little more conservative. My first thought was hey, make brownies. So that's what I did with the stuff. I reheated it, mixed in some flower and an egg and baked it till it was not sticky to my knife. It was great. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. (I prefer brownies anyhow)

Had that one year and found it to be the sugar. Expensive year!!
The store had a sale on their store brand - I found that store brands use a fine sugar or it is beet sugar not cane.

IF you are going to spend the money to make fudge / candys use good ingredients.
Domininos sugar.

You can easily salvage it. Scrape it back into the pan and add a splash of milk to stop it from sticking. Then, heat it up again and boil it like you did the first time round, this time until it is at the correct temperature or the soft ball stage. :)

Back
Top Bottom