"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Cook

Need help identifying candy

My husband loves a candy from a local candy shop which they call, depending on the flavor, Lemon Ice, Lime Ice, Orange Ice or Raspberry Ice. It is creamy with tiny pieces of hard candy in it which are the same color and flavor as the base. It appears to be made by pouring the hot candy on something like a jelly roll pan and is cut into squares when cool. I thought this wouldn't be too hard to make at home, but can't find anything on the internet with that name. Anyone know what this is?
Thanks --Lori

Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Hello ~ I believe the candy you are referring to is called "bark" not "ice". It is easily found on the internet. Put the words "lemon bark candy" or "peppermint bark candy" into your browser and you should find several links to recipes. The base of this candy is usually melted white chocolate with crushed candy mixed in. It is spread in a jelly roll pan, allowed to cool, and then broken into odd shaped pieces. My friend makes peppermint bark every Christmas and uses both red and green crushed peppermint pieces. It is one of my favorite holiday treats. I hope this helps you!
Happy 2006!!

Old 12-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Master Chef

I looked at several different bark candy recipes, and got some good ideas for next year's gifts. Basically, you just melt almond bark, add whatever crushed candies, nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, cut up candied fruit, or cereal you wish, and spread out thinly on a baking sheet like you would peanut brittle.
I didn't see any that called for using white chocolate, but I'm sure it would work. Or is that what almond bark is made from?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Peppermint Bark
I found this recipe for peppermint bark using white chocolate. You may use any flavor of crushed hard candy that you desire.

You will need:
1 pound vanilla-flavor candy coating or white chocolate, cut up, or one bag white baking chips
3/4 cup crushed peppermints or mint-flavored candy canes
Directions:
Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Heat candy coating in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
Stir in 1/2 cup of the crushed candy canes. Pour mixture to about 3/8-inch thickness onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed candies.
Let candy stand at room temperature for several hours until firm or place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Lift firm candy from the baking sheet and break into 1-oz. pieces. Store tightly covered up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 pound.
Note: For a different flavor, try using fruit-flavored candy canes or any other flavored crushed hard candy.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've saved that recipe, Shelly. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
Cook

Thanks for your replies! I actually made the peppermint bark for christmas last week, but copied the stuff being sold at Williams Sonoma and melted a layer of milk chocolate in the bottom of the pan first and let that cool, then topped it with the peppermint bark (yum!).
I will have to do some experimenting with the white chocolate or vanilla almond bark. The candies are also a color relating to the flavor...like the "orange ice" was orange in color and had an orange flavor in addition to the tiny pieces of candy having an intense orange flavor. Maybe flavored extracts and food coloring are used?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

If you use candy melts you should be able to get them in different colors. Then you could add the flavoring of your choice. Check the candy making section of a craft store.

Tags
None