"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Master Chef

I've also used a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee granules with the choc. chips for delicious mocha fudge. With white chocolate chips, instead of nuts, I've added diced red and green candied cherries.......beautiful for Christmas.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've also used a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee granules with the choc. chips for delicious mocha fudge. With white chocolate chips, instead of nuts, I've added diced red and green candied cherries.......beautiful for Christmas.

both of those sound delicious. specially the mocha one.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Amen to the Mocha. Shopping is Thursday, and even though I already have a chocolate walnut fudge in the fridge, I'm getting peanut butter and butterscotch chips in addition to the chocolate. I really like the one that someone showed a picture of sandwiching the peanut butter/and/or butterscotch.

I'd look it up, but there are now fudge threads all over the place, all mixed up with people who want to use candy thermometers to make a 5 minute EASY dish.

I even looked up candies to try an convince these people that a candy thermometer is not needed for fudge. HA! There are so many people who DO use a candy thermometer for fudge.

I don't see why anyone would want to complicate such an easy dish, but there you go. Some people just MUST do things the hard way.

I guess they will have to ruin a couple of batches, make big messes and either quit trying, or learn their lesson and make it easy.

Meanwhile we will all be sitting there munching on our perfect fudges and getting all the compliments!!!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I have been looking for an easy fudge recipe. I mad fudge once in school and it was easy, but couldn't find the same recipe again. This recipe seems almost the same. I did not know you could use parchment and put it in the oven. I guess I never really knew what it was for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
No, wish I could... but my only suggestion would be to stick with one recipe and get that one down pat before trying another. Meaning, don't change the ingredients at all but maybe mess with the methods.

I'm sure the differences in instructions are due to the different ingredients and how they interact with one another and with heat. I'm sure an expert could give a better breakdown of why one method works and another not so well.

I stick to the easy ones, like:

Original Fantasy Fudge
Kraft Foods / Yields 3 pounds

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 12-oz. (340 g) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7-oz. (198 g) jar Kraft Marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped nuts (optional. Both walnut and pecans are good. I use walnuts)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to full rolling bail, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring and not letting to scorch. Make sure your heat is at medium.

Remove from heat, stir in chocolate till melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts & vanilla beat till blended.

Pour into greased or parchment lined 9 X 13-inch baking pan. Let cool and cut into 1-inch squares.

(I prefer parchment lined as it's so easy to pop out and cut into pretty squares. Here's a little parchment paper trick for you: Cut your piece to fit down into pan with paper coming up sides. Spray your baking pan with cooking spray on bottom and up sides. Immediately lay your paper down inside and press down onto cooking spray. Spray will help your paper stick in place and form to the pan better.)

Note: Can be made in a smaller pan for thicker squares.

I'm interested in what the real candy makers have to say though. It's something I should learn how to do. I guess if I can master a pie crust I can learn to master candy too!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
Cook

Hi!
I found a great fudge recipe about a year ago and have been using it ever since. It NEVER FAILS! Amazing, right? I've had no problems when making this recipe - except that you have to clean your pots and pans fairly soon after making. I like to call it my fashionably-fast-no-fail-fudge.

Here is the recipe!!

Ingredients
First
2.5 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 (5-oz) can evaporated milk
1 (7.5-oz) jar marshmallow fluff
3/4 tsp salt
Second
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 (12-oz) pkg chocolate, vanilla, or peanut butter chips
Third
mini marshmallows
oreo crumbs
chocolate, vanilla, or peanut butter chips
nuts

Directions
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan and stir over a low heat until blended.
2. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, then stir constantly for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and stir in second group of ingredients until the chips are melted.
4. Stir in desired ingredients from third section (or save for sprinkling if desired).
5. Turn into a 9-inch square pan and cool - sprinkle on top desired third ingredients in if desired.

Notes:
Yields 2.5 pounds, or one 9-inch square pan.

I hope that this helps you in your quest!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

That sounds easy to. If I was not lazy I would go out and get the stuff to make some.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig0121 View Post
That sounds easy to. If I was not lazy I would go out and get the stuff to make some.
Even easier:

1 13 oz. package of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla

Spray a bowl with cooking spray. Put all ingredients in the bowl. Microwave 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave (if necessary) another minute.

Add chopped walnuts if desired.

Pour mixture into sprayed pan and refrigerate about an hour.

5 minutes, tops. By spraying the bowl first, most of the fudge will get into your pan, and cleanup is easy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Even easier:

1 13 oz. package of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla

Spray a bowl with cooking spray. Put all ingredients in the bowl. Microwave 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave (if necessary) another minute.

Add chopped walnuts if desired.

Pour mixture into sprayed pan and refrigerate about an hour.

5 minutes, tops. By spraying the bowl first, most of the fudge will get into your pan, and cleanup is easy.

sounds great!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I have a wonderful recipe that is very similar to the Fantasy Fudge recipe. No nuts for us, though. It is as close to my Mom's that she used to make that I can find.

Not-so-funny story.....I was making it once about 11 o'clock at night (only time I had to devote my entire attention to it with two small boys running around). I spilled the boiling sugar on my foot and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. All my then-husband (now EX) could only ask was...."Why were you making fudge at 11 o'clock at night?"...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I used to make "real" fudge with my mother(in Michigan) as a child, but tried it when I came to Colorado at 19 years old, and could not make it any more. I found out later that the altitude had something to do with my fudge not setting up. Way back then we didn't stir while it was boiling, but watched the temp. and also checked for the soft ball stage oftten (my favorite part as a child-we ate the fudge out of the water cup). I am sure that I would have trouble now making fudge even at sea level, so I too stick with the easy no fail kind.

Tags
maple syrup