Overcooked Fudge - Can I rescue it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Hughes

Assistant Cook
Hi there

I'm just starting to experiment with fudge-making. First batch I made was a little too sugary (I think it wasn't brought to a high enough temp) so I bought myself a confectionaer's thermometer and had a go at chocolate fudge to the following recipe:

1/2 pint milk
800g granulated sugar
100g butter
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
100g plain chocolate

• Melt choclate in milk
  • Bring slowly to boil
  • Add sugar and butter stirring until dissolved
  • Bing to boil, cover 2 mins
  • Uncover, boiling steadily until 240 degrees F reached continue to boil for 10-15 mins
  • Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, leave to cool 5 mins
  • Beat until loses its gloss and is thick and creamy
I let the temp raise to approx 260-270 degrees F by mistake, so when I beat it it went very flaky

Can it be rescued - i.e. re-melted with anything added to bring it back???

If not it'll be nice sprinkled on Ice Cream so all is not lost!!!

Many thanks for any suggestions

Dan

Hi there

I'm just starting to experiment with fudge-making. First batch I made was a little too sugary (I think it wasn't brought to a high enough temp) so I bought myself a confectionaer's thermometer and had a go at chocolate fudge to the following recipe:

1/2 pint milk
800g granulated sugar
100g butter
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
100g plain chocolate
  • Melt choclate in milk
  • Bring slowly to boil
  • Add sugar and butter stirring until dissolved
  • Bing to boil, cover 2 mins
  • Uncover, boiling steadily until 240 degrees F reached continue to boil for 10-15 mins
  • Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, leave to cool 5 mins
  • Beat until loses its gloss and is thick and creamy
I let the temp raise to approx 260-270 degrees F by mistake, so when I beat it it went very flaky

Can it be rescued - i.e. re-melted with anything added to bring it back???

If not it'll be nice sprinkled on Ice Cream so all is not lost!!!

Many thanks for any suggestions

Dan

Place in a double boiler with a little milk and re-melt. It should make a great hot fudge sauce for icecream...

I used to work in a chocolate store and made fudge every day. (Tough job!)

1st make sure your thermometer is calibrated, check w/ boiling water.
Also we only cooked to about 232-234 degrees.
When it begins to boil and again at about 210-215, take a brush and some water and brush the sides of the pot, the sugar can crystallize on the sides and affect the whole batch, making crunchy fudge.
The temp also depends on the weather, so you may have to try a few batches to find the right place.
Hope this helps.

oops I forgot!!:ermm:

You can also take a bit of the over cooked each time you make fudge and melt it into the new batch. Just throw it in at the start, it will boil down. Not all of it though, the chocolate can scorch easily. And keep stirring.

A rescue for failed fudge.

I too messed up when making fudge. I think there were multiple problems, but the upshot was that my fudge, including the butter, vanilla and nuts, was a sugary mess. I threw the whole lot back into the pot, added about 1/3 cup cream and melted it down again. I cooked it to about 235 degrees F, when I began to smell scorch, and cooled it to 110 degrees F. I put the new concoction into my prepared pan, and voila!!! I now have a delicious chocolate caramel. Every one likes it very much:ROFLMAO:.

Back
Top Bottom