"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 11-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Talking Peanut Brittle

Couldn't be easier! The recipe was given to me by a friend's mom back in the 1970s. Been making it this way ever since.

Peanut Brittle

1 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water
1 c. raw spanish peanuts (skins on)
2 Tbs. softened butter

Grease a cookie sheet (I use butter to grease the pan.) In a heavy saucepan on medium heat, bring the sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in raw peanuts. Set a candy thermometer in place. Stirring frequently, cook until temp. reaches 300F degrees. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Work fast, this stuff wants to set! Pour at once onto greased cookie sheet. Spread mixture on the cookie sheet with a pair of forks into a rectangle shape. Let cool. Snap into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes l lb.

Fraidy

Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Oh my gosh - I have my cookbook right here ready to post a similar recipe! The recipe I have calls for vanilla instead of baking soda, no water, and I used 1-1/2 cups peanuts w/o skins. The biggest difference is, though, that the recipe I have is prepared in the microwave! Everything is done in 10 minutes! MMMMmmmmmmm!

Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Baking soda is pretty important when it comes to Peanut Brittle. The kind of peanut brittle that everyone is familiar with has that taste in it and it is pretty standard in the Confectionery world.
how did that recipe turn out with the vanilla and no Baking soda? and how did it do in the microwave? did it get hard enough? Just watch out because sugar can light on fire past a certain temperature so stay close to the microwave if doing it that way...

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com
Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

And if you have an electric skillet, this is a good place to use it.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedrobert
Baking soda is pretty important when it comes to Peanut Brittle. The kind of peanut brittle that everyone is familiar with has that taste in it and it is pretty standard in the Confectionery world.
how did that recipe turn out with the vanilla and no Baking soda? and how did it do in the microwave? did it get hard enough? Just watch out because sugar can light on fire past a certain temperature so stay close to the microwave if doing it that way...

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com
Goofy me - my recipe does call for 1 t of baking soda! I did not know that sugar could catch on fire, thanks for the tip - I will stay close to the microwave. It hardened beautifully- I spread it on a greased cookie sheet and set it in the cold garage for a 1/2 hour and voila - peanut brittle. Here is the recipe:

Microwave Peanut Brittle
1-1/2 c unsalted dry roasted peanuts (or sliced almonds)
1 c sugar
c light corn syrup
1/8 t salt
1 T margarine
! t vanilla
1 t baking soda

Have all ingredients ready, grease or butter cookie sheet.
Mix peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together in bowl.
Cook on 100% power for 7-9 minutes, until bubbling and peanuts are brown.
Quickly stir in vanilla and margarine. Cook at 100% for 2-3 minutes.
Quickly stir in baking soda
Spread on greased cookie sheet and cool. Break into pieces.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Inventive

That is neat that you did it in the microwave...did you just wait till the color turned slightly brown and then take it out? very inventive...

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com/vb
Old 11-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Mmmm, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make this this year since my kids love it. Hopefully, we will end up getting the stuff my friend's dad makes. He makes the best peanut brittle.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedrobert
That is neat that you did it in the microwave...did you just wait till the color turned slightly brown and then take it out? very inventive...

-Robert
The sugar, corn syrup and salt go into the microwave for 7-9 minutes, I did 7 minutes. Then add vanilla and margarine and cook for 2 more minutes. It is a nice brown color. Try it, I would love to know what you think!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Yeah sugar can catch on fire...funny story...when I was going through culinary school we had one guy leave some sugar cooking on the stove and it burst into 2 foot high flames...he did this twice...needless to say our chef was not too happy...lol..
I also have worked for "Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory" and in the headquaters kitchen one guy had some peanut brittle cooking and he left it on when he went for a break and he came back and the whole room was filled with smoke and it was just a few degree's before catching fire...so yeah fun fire stories from the candy kitchen...every be carefull

-Robert
Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
... can I use pecans instead of peanuts??

Tags
None