Peanut Brittle Problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always read the business news and I haven't seen anything about changing C&H Sugar. Just that it is owned by Domino Sugar.

We used to have two sugar plants in Boston. Domino and Revere Sugar. Domino bought out Revere Sugar and then closed down both plants and moved to a cheaper labor area. :angel:

Last edited:
My nephew after college went to Idaho from Wash. State and worked as manager on a huge sugar beet farm owned by the Mormon Church and sold their product to C&H. He was there for five years before going to work for the Fed. Govt. as a Border Guard. :angel:

I always wondered where the California part of the name C & H came from.

Remember the jingle, "Pure cane sugar from Hawaii (ha-WHY-ee)"?

I saw the microwave recipe for the peanut brittle. A big favorite for my family. I don't have money to buy presents, but I can make a lot of this for many different homes as a gift. You need to read the reviews as some folks had a problem due to the different wattage of the microwave. Cooking times do need to be adjusted according to individual ovens. :angel:

Hm, I remember seeing "pure cane sugar" on some bags of sugar. I don't remember ever seeing that it was beet sugar. I wonder if I can get beet sugar here. It might make some of my Danish recipes work better. It's beet sugar by default in Denmark, even the brown sugar (it's made by adding molasses).
In the UK if it's cane sugar it says so on the package and if it's beet sugar it doesn't say anything about beet but all sugar beet produced in the UK is processed by British Sugar PLC (Formerly the British Sugar Corporation) so if that's on the package you know it's beet sugar.

There's no difference in taste and it doesn't seem to make a difference in cakes but it does in jam, marmalade, etc.

Is there anything one can substitute for the corn syrup in peanut brittle? Honey? Agave syrup?

I don't see why not. Either should work. Now I have a big interest in making peanut brittle, will have to do the microwave one again. I'll report when I try the other sweeteners. Not tonight though.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. Either should work. Now I have a big interest in making peanut brittle, will have to do the microwave one again. I'll report when I try the other sweeteners. Not tonight though.
Ooh, I want to hear how it goes. Thanks for testing this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom