Peanut brittle turned green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bimfi

Assistant Cook
I just made a batch of peanut brittle. This was my first time making it, so I followed a tradition recipe. I used raw red skinned spanish peanuts for this. The peanuts were relatively smaller than average. I put the peanuts into the sugar mixture when it was at 235 F and cooked it to 290 F. I removed it from the heat and added the butter and soda and beat it to blend. As soon as the soda started foaming it had a greenish tint to the toffee/brittle mixture. It eventually dissipated and changed to a lighter brown color, but the bottom of the brittle was still greenish. Any suggestions as to why this happened and what I can do to prevent this again?

What kind of pan did you use? Is it bare aluminum? Bare aluminum often reacts with foods, and I would assume that baking soda would cause a reaction.

I just got off the phone with my sister in law in Georgia.
She has been making peanut brittle for decades.
She said that she has seen that reaction many times.
She says that, usually, the green will dissipate and the brittle will revert to a normal caramel/toffee color.
She speculated that it may come from too rapid heating and the raw peanuts don't get fully cooked.
Not being a candy maker, I must defer to her information.
Apparently it is not too uncommon.
She says that, while it looks strange, the peanut brittle should be fine.

Thank you all for the feed back. I actually used a stainless steel pot and a wooden spoon. The second batch I made I used peanuts that I had just roasted, to try to remove the "raw" peanut flavor. It also turned green when the soda was put in, but, as Hoot's sister-in-law mentioned, it did dissipate. Now, at least I know that it is sort of normal for this to happen. Thanks, again.

I cooked a batch of peanut brittle and as soon as I added the baking soda it turned green. I used a stainless steel pot and a plastic spoon. PLEASE help!! Thank you. I used raw shelled peanuts; the package does not say Spanish peanuts and I did not roast the brand that I have before I added them to my recipe.

I cooked a batch of peanut brittle and as soon as I added the baking soda it turned green. I used a stainless steel pot and a plastic spoon. PLEASE help!! Thank you. I used raw shelled peanuts; the package does not say Spanish peanuts and I did not roast the brand that I have before I added them to my recipe.

Welcome to DC.
I'd recommend a wood or steel spoon instead of plastic, plastic may melt at those temperatures. I don't have an answer for green brittle but you are welcome to send some to me. ;)

Welcome to DC! Sorry to hear that happened. Have you made the recipe before? I have no idea why that happened (suspect a chemical reaction). May I have your permission to send the body of your post to a friend who has a Ph.D. in chemistry?

I just made a batch of peanut brittle. This was my first time making it, so I followed a tradition recipe. I used raw red skinned spanish peanuts for this. The peanuts were relatively smaller than average. I put the peanuts into the sugar mixture when it was at 235 F and cooked it to 290 F. I removed it from the heat and added the butter and soda and beat it to blend. As soon as the soda started foaming it had a greenish tint to the toffee/brittle mixture. It eventually dissipated and changed to a lighter brown color, but the bottom of the brittle was still greenish. Any suggestions as to why this happened and what I can do to prevent this again?
Hi bimfi.

Next time please use a non stick stock pot. And not a reactive pot such as your Stainless Steel one Ok?

The stainless steel pot cause the oxidation in the brittle to turn it green with the baking powder. Next time you can try using a dutch oven?

Back
Top Bottom