Peanut Butter Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Peanut butter and chocolate have to be my favorite sweet. Here are some balls we made a couple of days ago with my daughter. Very easy and you can't eat just one, so make sure you have some help or you will end up eating two dozen by yourself in a couple of days....
Ingredients: 1½ cups peanut butter
16 ounces powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butter, divided
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and place in the freezer.
2. Mix peanut butter, ½ cup butter, sugar, and vanilla. Remove frozen sheet. With hands form nickel-sized balls. Mixture will be stiff. Place balls on sheet and spear with a toothpick.
3. Once sheet is full place sheet back into the freezer and allow balls freeze while slowly melting together chocolate and 1/2 cup butter in a double boiler. You can use a microwave also, but be careful and do it in 20 second increments and stir each time to ensure even melting.
4. Remove balls from freezer and coat in chocolate as desired and replace onto waxed cookie sheet.
5. Freeze or refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer to allow chocolate to firm.
6. For storage, keep refrigerated.

Attachments

• DSC00314.jpg
    DSC00314.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
We call these buckeyes and make them every Christmas. I use the candyquik chocolate to dip them. It's a lot easier and doesn't melt at room temp.

I was wondering if you could use other chocolates. I usually buy the Baker's chocolate bars when making anything like this.

Wanted to also add that I have not made this, but my mother-in-law has. I find that hers are lacking something. The peanut butter mixture is too sweet where the chocolate coating is not sweet enough. Have you found that your recipe is balanced?

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could use other chocolates. I usually buy the Baker's chocolate bars when making anything like this.

Wanted to also add that I have not made this, but my mother-in-law has. I find that hers are lacking something. The peanut butter mixture is too sweet where the chocolate coating is not sweet enough. Have you found that your recipe is balanced?
They seem good to me. Maybe a bit of salt to counteract the sugar?

Mind you she has yet to share the recipe with me LOL
Thank you for sharing this. I will have to try them. I love peanut butter balls. We just find hers were a bit unbalanced :)

After I dip balls in chocolate (semi sweet and dark) I sprinkle with Kosher salt. Perfect combination.

I make buckeyes, and all my other recipes that call for peanut butter, with Superbutter, a seed butter replacement for people with peanut or other nut allergies. It's made with flax, sunflower, and sesame seeds and tastes pretty close to peanut butter, especially in recipes. You can buy it on line at Amazon.com or superbutter.com, or in TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

Buckeye Superballs

Ingredients:

• 12oz crunchy Superbutter
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 lb Confectioner’s sugar, sifted
• ½ tsp Amoretti Madagascar-Bourbon Vanilla Extract
• 12oz semi-sweet chocolate

Instructions:

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the Superbutter and butter together, then add the vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in the confectioner’s sugar to create a dough. Form the dough into 1-inch balls, place the balls on parchment lined cookie sheets, stick a toothpick in each ball, and chill them in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth. Alternately, melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and 30 second intervals, and stir until smooth.
Holding them by the toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate to cover about ¾ of the ball, leaving a small amount of the Superbutter mixture showing, and return them to the parchment lined cookies sheets. Remove the toothpicks, smooth over the holes, and allow the Buckeyes to cool.

Here is my all-time favorite recipe for using Superbutter: Be True To Your School and I've used all four different flavours in this recipe

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom