"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pecan Pralines hints/advice

I can make some tastey Pralines but how do you keep them liquid until you can spoon them out onto a pan? I get about 2 out of 12 into the pan then they begin to QUICKLY thicken and set up. They look and taste exactly as my grandmother's used to. When I used to help her with them I remember that her kitchen was HOT as Hades. My kitchen is NOT as I am pre-menopausal, obese and love to cook. So, is it the kitchen temp? Or humidity? Or could I maintain a certain temp on the stove to keep it at soft ball stage a little longer or would that change the consistency maintaining heat longer? Any tips appreciated.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
I can make some tastey Pralines but how do you keep them liquid until you can spoon them out onto a pan? I get about 2 out of 12 into the pan then they begin to QUICKLY thicken and set up. They look and taste exactly as my grandmother's used to. When I used to help her with them I remember that her kitchen was HOT as Hades. My kitchen is NOT as I am pre-menopausal, obese and love to cook. So, is it the kitchen temp? Or humidity? Or could I maintain a certain temp on the stove to keep it at soft ball stage a little longer or would that change the consistency maintaining heat longer? Any tips appreciated.
Try to keep it over a pan of hot water. Keep the water at a very low simmer. Don't let the water touch the bottom of the pan with the product in it. If you are having a problem with the sheet you are putting them on, use a large roasting pan for the water. that should solve your problem.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks very much great idea. I will try that tomorrow. I, as I'm sure we all are especially this month, have been very Very busy. Just got a new to me stove and microwave gifted to me. Lots of work ahead to mount the microwave above the stove as our kitchen is not set up for that = moving cabinets to make it happen. Will update as soon as I get to try this;-)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm thinking that maybe they are cooked just a bit too long. I've made them and had to work quickly, usually only the last one or two were a bit ugly, the rest flattened slightly as they should when dropped.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe cooking too long. I remove it from the heat as soon as it hits the right temp but maybe it's taking too long and perhaps I should turn up the heat to speed the process.

Tags
None