Pie Susan's Chocolate Fudge Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
Pie Susan's Chocolate Fudge Recipe
(adapted from many other recipes)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
1 7 oz jar marshmallow creme
2 ounces (half stick) sweet butter
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
13 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Optional: 7 ounces (2 cups) pecans, toasted, or walnuts, halves or pieces

Directions:
Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil Set aside the lined pan. Or use a tin foil pan like I do which makes the fudge easy to give as a present.
If using the optional nuts, remove and set aside about 1/2 cup of the best looking halfs or pieces to decorate the fudge.
Pour the evaporated milk into a heavy 2-1/2 to 3-quart saucepan. Add the marshmallow creme, butter, sugar and salt. Place over low to low-medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spatula until the mixture comes to a boil. This mixture wants to burn so watch it carefully. You may have to adjust the heat as necessary and occasionally scrape the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula to be sure it is not burning.
As soon as the mixture comes to a full boil start timing it; let it boil, and continue to stir, for 5 minutes. The mixture will carmelize slightly. If you use a thermometer to test the mixture, the temperature will be 226 to 228 degrees when the boiling time is up.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the morsels, whisking until the fudge is melted smooth. Then, stir in the vanilla, and optional 1-1/2 cups nuts. Quickly pour the fudge into the lined pan, smooth the top, and place the reserved 1/2 cup nuts onto the top of the fudge, spacing them evenly and pressing down on them enough so they will not fall off.
Let stand until cool. Then chill until firm. If you have used a tin foil lined pan, remove the fudge and foil from the pan and with a long sharp chef's knife carefully cut the fudge into pieces. Wrap each piece in clear cellophane, wax paper, or aluminum foil. Or place the fudge in an airtight freezer box. If you want to store for more than a few days, freeze it.

My notes:
I adapted this recipe from many similar recipes. I added more chocolate. You can use a mixture of semisweet and bittersweet. Nuts are totally optional. I like the addition of vanilla. You can use a tinfoil 8-inch pan and give the pan wrapped in saran and tinfoil as a gift. I usually add a bow and a plastic knife to cut it with. I always use a candy thermometer--it ensures that you bring the mixture to the proper temperature. It is easier to use a 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme than trying to divide a larger one as it is awfully sticky. Sometimes when I don't use nuts in the fudge, I will place one perfect walnut or pecan half in the center just to decorate the fudge.

My tips for success:
For those having trouble with this fudge--
Make sure that your candy thermometer is not broken--you can do this by testing it in boiling water--it should reach 212 degrees
Always be sure to be measuring the temperature of the candy and not the bottom of the pot.
Always read the thermometer at eye level.

Make sure crystallization does not happen--wipe down the sides of the pot with cold water. It may mean that it takes a bit longer to make the fudge--because the cold water will lower the temperature of your mixture but better that than ruining a batch.

Be careful not to burn the mixture--with all the sugar--it is easy to do.

I hope this helps. These are the things that I do when I make the fudge. There is no problem using all bittersweet chocolate. I have done so and it has worked.

The marshmallow mixture has to carmelize--it is going to turn a tan--but don't burn it.

Back
Top Bottom