Praline & Divinity-family recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnaGA

Assistant Cook
I am having a wonderful time looking at recipes & learning info from many topics on this forum. Decided it was my turn to contribute.

PRALINES--Do not make when humidity high.
Combine 2 cups sugar and ¾ teaspoon baking soda in a deep 3 quart saucepan; mix well with a wooden spoon. Add 1 cup light cream (half & half). Stir carefully to keep sugar crystals in lower half of pan. All crystals should be dissolved when candy boils. This helps pralines be smooth and creamy.

Bring to a boil over medium heat. (I use medium low on my stove.) Stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. When mix starts to boil, it bubbles high up in pan. Reduce heat and continue stirring to prevent boil over and scorching. Mixture caramelizes as it cooks. Cook till candy forms a soft ball when tested in water. Test a couple of times.**.

Remove from heat. Add 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter immediately. Measure accurately—too much butter keeps pralines from firming. Add 2 cups pecan halves and beat until thick enough to drop from a spoon. Candy thickens rapidly after beating two or three minutes.

Drop pralines onto waxed paper. Makes 2 to 2 ½, 1 ½ inch patties. If necessary add a Tablespoon or so of hot water to keep pralines at the right consistency to drop from a metal spoon.
mom January 1974
**I know candy is reaching soft ball stage when boil begins to look ‘foamy’.**
--This recipe came from a magazine. Mom’s recipe has pictures with instructions but no reference information.

Divinity--Do not make when humidity high.
·2 ½ cups sugar
·½ cup white corn syrup
·½ cup water
Cook in heavy pan until hard ball stage is reached, 250ºF.
Gradually add to…

·2 beaten egg whites
Beat until grossy. Refrigerate for several minutes. Drop onto waxed paper. Work fast. Decorate with pecan halves if desired.
When patties don’t drop pretty, I add chopped pecans to mix.

Grandmother Morgan
September 1969

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom