Pralines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Just wondering if typically, pralines are made with pecans. Is it all right it other nuts are used? I have mixed, cashews, walnuts and then a blend of seseme/sunflower/pepitas.

I just did a batch of Lady Jayla 'LeAnnes pralines from a very old New Orleans cookbook I got there at the junk store years ago. They are stupid good. Oh my gosh, a lot of work and ingreds but so good. I did walnuts in that batch as called for pecans, but didn't have any. So, are they still pralines or no?

Typically pecans are used. Other nuts would also work. I think they are pralines. Pralines are defined as a confection made with sugar syrup and nuts.

oh I love pecans, but I didn't have any but do have a plethora of other nuts in my freezer that I was hoping to put to good use.

Here's a question though..............
I made a caramel type candy that I have no idea how to wrap up. It's sticky and pliable so should I cut little pieces of waxed paper or parchment to house them in for giftgiving? I mean, I can't figure out a way of doing them in individual pieces by myself, I'm a dork at this:ermm:

Today, I finished the last of a gift I'd gotten in the mail from someone I met exactly once while working. I was sad due to the last bite of pralines and bored with studying so I made a batch of fakko pralines, my version. I used cashews and p-nuts as the nuts today. Hubby likes them so it was a safe bet to use.

2 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
1/8 t soda
1/2 stick butter
1/2 t lemon extract
1/2 t rose water

put all in heavy skillet, stir real well and cook until you reach 245 on candy thermometer. about 12 minutes. take off heat have nuts ready and parchment buttered. Stir in nuts and then stir until your arm falls off then switch arms.:LOL::LOL: and continue with that one too until thick and mirky colored. I used a small ice cream scoop for ladling onto the buttered paper. let cool, gave one to husband, HE LOVES ME ALL OVER AGAIN, Yeah!:clap:
Had to share cause I love y'all so much:blush:

Just wondering if typically, pralines are made with pecans. Is it all right it other nuts are used? I have mixed, cashews, walnuts and then a blend of seseme/sunflower/pepitas.

I just did a batch of Lady Jayla 'LeAnnes pralines from a very old New Orleans cookbook I got there at the junk store years ago. They are stupid good. Oh my gosh, a lot of work and ingreds but so good. I did walnuts in that batch as called for pecans, but didn't have any. So, are they still pralines or no?

I'm just not sure - I'll have to taste them! :glare:

Typically, it's made with pecans. Every year when I'm in New Orleans I bring home lots of Aunt Sally's pralines. Last year, I found bananas foster pralines at the shoppe. I give most of them away as gifts but only to people who will really appreciate them.

When I find I have a few still sitting around I chop them and add them to oatmeal or pancakes or stuffed french toast. If you've got other nuts in yours, I don't see what is to stop you from enjoying them, hmmm???:-p

I agree with Uncle Bob about trying them with pecans. The best I've ever had in my life were made with buttermilk and pecans - sooooooo good.

Try Loretta's too! Spread your money around...In fact I accept cash myself!:LOL:
okay, I got it, you accept cash, so do I..........but I won't charge you if you just................................................
hint hint hint hint hint................................I'll send you mine if you send me yours...............hint hint hint hint:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I agree with Uncle Bob about trying them with pecans. The best I've ever had in my life were made with buttermilk and pecans - sooooooo good.
listen up fine folks of DC. I have pecans, in the freezer by the plenty, but the love of my life doesn't like pecans, I do, he doesn't. Since this little body is trying hard to retain it's new shape, I make them for him and friends:-p like the 2 on here that are getting these in 2 days from now.:ohmy: I must admit though, the buttermilk and nuts sounds wonderful. Can I do that one with the macadamia's I have in the freezer, I'll chop 'em up first though, they're big ole suckers.........:ROFLMAO:

Ooooohhh. I have a pint jar of hickory nuts that my sweet Uncle Hib picked out for me. I have been saving them in the freezer for a special recipe, and I think hickory pralines would be wonderful.

hummmmmmmmm.........................................^^^^;)okay! and you shall!

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: - ummmmmm - ok, I can say YES, they are wonderful!!!! I LOVE all 3! I can't decide - right now my mouth is lovin' the heat of the cayenne/sesame one. I just keep going from one bag to the next - :w00t2: Like a kid in her own private bakery!

I'm sitting here waiting for the sugar rush to kick in! :bounce: If I can show ANY self-control my son and hubby will be able to taste them too! It's not lookin' so good though! :LOL:

:flowers: - THANK YOU! I've never been so surprised!!!

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: - ummmmmm - ok, I can say YES, they are wonderful!!!! I LOVE all 3! I can't decide - right now my mouth is lovin' the heat of the cayenne/sesame one. I just keep going from one bag to the next - :w00t2: Like a kid in her own private bakery!I'm sitting here waiting for the sugar rush to kick in! :bounce: If I can show ANY self-control my son and hubby will be able to taste them too! It's not lookin' so good though! :LOL:

:flowers: - THANK YOU! I've never been so surprised!!!
bouncin bouncin bouncin.............you're a bouncin machine..................
ahahahh
I am thrilled you liked them, to me, I like the one with the cayenne/sesame too. I did a praline that didn't turn out over the holiday but it made the best ever caramels. So I pulled/twisted it, then formed into little logs and wrapped. That flavor, goof as it was,turned out to be best seller, or a best liked I mean.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
DH took his bunch of goodies to work today. He had meetings all day long and didn't know when he should take in the box of treats or if, all being NASA guys, they're a little stiff. Anyway, he relented and took it in after the break around 9:30 and just sat it in the middle of the conference table. Another break, to the lu he went, back to the meeting place. No one there yet, so he grabbed what was left [other half of the box] and headed it to a central walkway there at work, where many would see and grab. He got phone calls asking if there was more, who made this stuff, and was told people were coming from other buildings as they'd heard they 'should'. In record time=all gone. One man asked if it contains peanuts, ya think? He said yes...the man dropped his head, got out his eppy and walked away. Came back to husband and said, "I'm glad I asked as I'm allergic, but you know what? I don't care and I'm glad I carry that pen." Funny thing is usually when I make him stuff to take to work, I scotch tape the recipe right on the container and this morning at 4:00am couldn't muster doing that. Next time, I will............​

Last edited:
A little late but I thought You would find this interesting. I found this on another site.

From The Pastry Chef's Companion:

Bonbon
The French word for a variety of small confections, including pralines, fondant-centered chocolates, pastilles, and candied fruits.

Pralines
A confectionary term that refers to a bite-size, chocolate coated confection.

Fondant
See Poured Fondant or Rolled Fondant
:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom